Fukuoka, Fukuoka #1-B- Japan

Fukuoka, Fukuoka #1-B- Japan

Established as Kumamoto Branch Camp of Yawata Temporal POW Camp at Aza-Saburotsuka, Kengun-cho, Kumamoto City, Kumamoto Prefecture on November 26, 1942.

Reorganized to be Kumamoto Branch Camp of Fukuoka POW Camp on January 1, 1943.

Renamed as Fukuoka No.1 Branch Camp on March 1, 1943.

The POWs were used by Seibu District Army and engaged in the work of construction of Kengun Airfield in Kumamoto City.

Moved to Tatara-cho, Kasuya-gun (current Tatara, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka City), Fukuoka Prefecture on September 20, 1943.

Moved to Oaza-Mushiroda, Fukuoka City on April 17, 1944.

Moved to Hakozaki-cho, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka City on January 20, 1945.

The POWs were used by Seibu District Army.

381 POWs (153 American, 140 British, 58 Dutch, 28 Australian and 2 other nationality) were imprisoned at the end of the war.

147 POWs died while imprisonment.

There were 2 POWs from 2/4th at this camp Joe Swartz and Bill Dwyer.  Bill Dwyer WX20076 died of acute colitis on 5 May 1945 at 38 years.  At the same time, Joe Swartz WX4924 was moved to Moji camp No. 4.  Both men had worked on Burma-Thai Railway and survived with ‘D’ Force, V Battalion.

Soldiers that were in this camp

Location of Fukuoka, Fukuoka #1-B- Japan (exact)