Thanbyuzayat - Burma

Thanbyuzayat, Base Camp 415k – Burma


Ramsasy Force arrived at Thanbyuzayat staging camp 18 December 1942 and were met by the Commandant, Lt.-
Col. Y.  Nagatomo who was described as ‘strutting, pompous Nipponese, small of stature, loud of mouth and full of scathing sarcasm.’  He told them ‘you are the remnants of a rabble army – you don’t even know how to dress properly.  We intend to build this railway even if it has to go over your dead bodies.’

Ramsay Force had suffered 9 days sailing in appallingly cramped conditions from Singapore to Mergui where they worked on the aerodrome.  Monsoon season arrived and he POWs worked hard in the rain.  Rations had been meagre, but they could purchase a few eggs and bananas.  They had been under guard of former naval men who happily dished out punishment with some degree of leniency.  However Tavoy was very different.  This was what they had to look forward to.

On the morning of 20 Dec 1942, Ramsay Force was ordered to prepare to move to Kun Knit Way 26 km camp, fortunately transport had been provided not like the forced march from Ye when the sick had also marched.

By January 1943 Thanbyuzat was recognised as a base hospital because there were 1,600 patients admitted.

The hospital was located opposite the railway station and workshops.

This was a base hospital Camp for F Force during the time they were working on the line. Dr. Bruce Atlee Hunt was appointed Senior Medical Officer (he was moved around to other camp hospitals as were all doctors) and in mid 1943 his staff numbered 192 including all  volunteer medical orderlies.  There were a total of 11 doctors in F Force. Hunt had virtually no medical supplies or equipment.

In early March 1943 30km Reptu Camp was established as a hospital camp however was ordered closed by the Japanese as quickly as it was opened and patients transferred back to Thanbyuzayat Hospital Camp.

In the early afternoon on 12 June 1943 patients at this base hospital camp were thrilled to hear Allied planes approaching, believing they were headed towards Bangkok.  A similar experience had occurred several weeks earlier and the POWs who were able, ran outside to see the planes and waved excitedly.

On this day the men suddenly realised the planes were flying low and could see the formation breaking off into three groups.  Filled with terror they realised their Camp was the target.  The Allied Forces had no means of identifying their POW Camps which accommodated 3,000 men. The Allies were targeting railway workshops and marshalling yards.   The POW Camp and hospital was located next to extensive rail yards filled with rolling stock and supplies for Japan’s fighting forces in northern Burma.

Among the injured were 5 Australians deaths when two bombs went astray, falling in the camp compound.   That evening every walking man made their way to the cemetery to pay tribute to the Australian, English, American and Dutch who had died.  The three Padres conducting the services included Father Corry, 2/4th MGB.

Major Varley and senior officer’s pleas to the Japanese to be permitted to identify POW huts were met with negative answers.

Requests from senior POWs met with no response from the Japanese resulting in feelings of hopelessness amongst the men. Knowledge of  an ammunition dump nearby worsened their fears.

Finally the Japanese officer in command, Nagatomo granted permission for a system of slit trenches be built beside each hut.  The men and patients were drilled about the procedure to take place next time.

Next time was 3 days later. Another bombing raid occurred on 15 June and this time 13 Australians died and double this number wounded. Allied planes flying above at 2,000 feet were fired at with Japanese machine guns, rifles and pistols!

Terrified by this undisciplined shooting the men had taken to the trenches fearing being hit by Japanese fire.  Then came the assault from the air lasting an hour.  Huts were bombed amidst the chaos.  It must have been a terrifying experience for the helpless and vulnerable POWs, especially being attacked and bombed by their ‘own’.

That evening the funerals were held for the dead, again attended by all POWs including the very sick who could stagger or walk to pay their respects to their mates.

Varley approached the Japanese asking permission to travel to Rangoon to make a broadcast to the Allied Forces to advise the number of POWs at the Camp.  This was refused.

On 17 June Nagatomo ordered the evacuation of hospital patients. This immediate evacuation of 3,000 sick men to disused Kendau 4.8km, Wegale 8km and Alepauk 18km Camps whilst Japanese headquarters were set up at 4.8km Kendau Camp located within the Moulmein rubber plantation. 

The 8 km march to Kendau 4km campsite was to be on foot, each man carrying his personal belongings and whatever equipment the camp required, walking and staggering in batches of 50 men.

The advance party arrived to find only one hut with a roof.  The weather and local scavengers had ravaged the camp leaving 10 huts roofless but with atap sides.  It was the height of the monsoon season, 1,000 exhausted, sick men slept in the rain wherever they fell.   The first job of the volunteers was to prepare latrines.

Major Colin Cameron from the 2/4th called a meeting of the POW officers.  They had not one single doctor amongst them and an entire camp needed to be built.  Worse, there were very few fit men amongst them.  Major Cameron proved to be a driving force and inspiration to the men.  The cooks established makeshift kitchens ensuring the men never went without a single meal.

For those remaining at Thanbyuzat their Japanese guards well before schedule, ordered the sick out of their huts and into the jungle and rain to take shelter from the daily Allied bombing raids.  The  POWs were humoured to have their guards to first head for the tallest of trees and then beckon (afraid to yell) them to join them for safety’s sake!

There was one good thing about spending one’s time hiding out in the rain in the jungle avoiding Allied bombing raids – the POWs finally had an opportunity to trade with the locals without the guard’s knowledge.

There was great relief when Nagatomo agreed to transfer some of the seriously sick to Alepauk 18km camp.  Within a few weeks all the sick had been moved to Reptu 30 km camp – some provided with transport and for some marching were able to load their gear on transport trucks.

The railway yards, rolling stock and hospital camp at Thanbuyuzat were now wrecked or demolished. The POWs could only regret the deaths of so many of their own.  Thanbuyuzat a ‘bad memory’


WX14226 Brazier, Arthur Amos Murray died 18 March 1943 of bacillary dysentery aged 38 years.


Thanby 1943 AWM Pic



Location of Thanbyuzayat - Burma (exact)