The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- George Keith
- Regimental #:
- 'C' Company, No. 11 Platoon.
- Place of Birth:
- Northam, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Levin Owen Chatfield
- Mothers's Name:
- Catherine Chatfield
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Truck Driver
- Selarang Camp Changi, Johore Bahru, Adam Park, Selerang Barracks Changi
- 'D' Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Japan:
- Yamane 10/9/1945 to 18/5/1945, Niihama 18/5/1945 to 12/9/1945.
- 4/5986, 8762, 1585
- Rashin Maru Party
- Return Details 1945:
- Wakayama-Okinawa, USS Sanctuary, Okinawa-Manila, USS Bingham, Manila-Sydney, HMS Speaker, Sydney-Melbourne-Perth by troop train.
George Chatfield was recovered from Niihama, Japan 12th August 1945.
George was good mates with Mick Hummerston, Slew Baxter and Floyed. Floyed WX12663 died Sandakan March 1945. The four men were in ‘C’ Company.
George’s niece, Merle Chatfield married son of Robert Walter Marsh WX17639 who died from wounds at Roberts Barracks, Changi 5 April 1942. Please read further.
George’s parents Levi Owen Chatfield and Catherine Nicholson married 1907 Perth. George was one of 5 sons and 1 daughter and the family grew up at Tammin. Levi Chatfield was born in Victoria and died at Cunderdin aged 82 years in 1953 and his wife Catherine died May 1952 aged 71 years.
After the war George married in 1949 at Beverley to Beryl Olive Wake. It is believed they had 3 sons. The family lived at Quairading where George was a truck driver. He died 17 May 1982 aged 69 years.
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Nihama, Hiroshima #2-B- Japan
- Yamane, Hiroshima #3-D - Japan