The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Wilford Neville
- Regimental #:
- Battalion Headquarters
- Place of Birth:
- Midland Junction, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Stepfather - George Rodwell
- Mothers's Name:
- Gladys Beryl Matson
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Postal Assistant
- Selarang Camp Changi, Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp), River Valley Road Camp, Selarang Barracks Changi
- 'D' Force Thailand, V Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kinsaiyok, Brankassi, Hindaine, Kuii, Tamuang, Tamajao (line maintenance party), Tamarkan, Non Pladuk, Tamuang, Non Pladuk, Wampo-Tavoy Escape Road (evacuated sick Kanchanburi), Nacompaton Hospital (ex-Tavoy 22.5.1945) Bangkok
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Rangoon by aircraft, Rangoon-Singapore, HMT Highland Brigade, Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Circassia.
Matson & Tom Pilmoor WX17393
Neville was selected as POW Singapore to work on Burma-
Thai Railway with ‘D’ Force Thailand, V Battalion. This Battalion departed Singapore Railway Station about mid March 1943 crowded into small carriages on a 4 day ‘trying’ journey to Thailand. ‘Trying’ is appropriate because V Battalion was to endure 50% death rate and a dreadful time – separated from all of ‘D’ Force Battalions their work camps included being with large numbers of Dutch East Indies POWs who dictated distribution of food and work, leaving the Australians with a definite unfair advantage.
Once the rail link was completed (end of 1943) Matson was selected from Tamuang Camp with a maintenance line party to work at Tamajao.
Gladys Beryl Matson married George Rodwell Perth 1941. She died at Katanning 1966.
After the war, Neville returned to his pre-war employer, the Post Office and continued to do so until his retirement.
He married Joan Elaine White about 1948.
In the Electoral Rolls of 1949 the couple are residing Mt Barker.
They must have moved to Waroona soon after, as we find them listed in social pages during early to mid 1950s.
Below: Harvey-Murray Times 14 August 1953
1958 – Mandurah, 1972 Roebourne where Neville is Postmaster, 1980 back to Mandurah where Neville is now Postmaster.
In 1972, Neville and his wife Joan were living in Roebourne. He had about another 12 months working at the Roebourne Post Office before returning to live in Perth. (information Borehole Bulletin Jan 1972).
The couple had two sons and one daughter.
Neville died 21 March 1997 at Mandurah. Joan (nee White) who was born Corrigin 1929, died at Mandurah about 2016.
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore
- Brankassi, Prang Kasi, 208k - Thailand
- Hindaine, Kui Mang 200k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand
- Nacompaton, Nakom Pathom Hospital - Thailand
- Non Pladuk, 0k - Thailand
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Tamajao, Tha Mayo, 238k - Thailand
- Tamuang, Tha Muang 39k - Thailand
- Wampo, Wang Pho 114k - Thailand ***