The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘D’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Creiff, Perthshire, Scotland
- Father's Name:
- Robert Wilson
- Mothers's Name:
- Jessie Wilson
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi, Kranji Hospital Woodlands (critically ill beri-beri, malaria and dysentery), Changi Gaol Camp.
- ‘F’ Force Thailand
- Camps Thailand:
- Shimo Sonkurai, Kanchanaburi Hospital
- Camps Burma:
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Darwin-Sydney, HMT Arawa, Sydney-Melbourne by troop train, Melbourne-Fremantle, HMT Strathmore.
Wilson enlisted AIF 22 Oct 1941, as reinforcement joined ‘Aquitania’ at Fremantle and sailed for Singapore 16 Jan 1942.
Hew was one of three reinforcments to ‘D’ Company No. 16 Platoon under the command of Sgt Arbery.
Soldier was missing in action from 9/2/1942. He rejoined unit on 15/2/1942.
He was selected in Singapore to work on Burma-Thai Railway with ‘F’ Force Thailand. Please read further about this Force.
He was evacuated to Tanbaya Hospital Camp, Burma from Shimo SonkuraI Camp. From Tanbaya he was evacuated to Kanchanaburi Hospital Camp before returning to Singapore.
It is not known when he was admitted to Kranji Hospital Woodlands, Singapore where he was critically ill with beri beri, malaria and dysentery – he is indeed a very lucky man to survive.
He was recovered from Changi Camp when the war ended.
We have found on records John Willson attended school April 1913 Townhill Infant School, Fife, Scotland.
Unfortunately we are unable to confirm any further information about John, either before or after the war.
If you can assist, please email us
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Kranji Camp Woodlands - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Kanchanaburi, 50k - Thailand
- Shimo Sonkurai, 288k - Thailand
- Tanbaya, 362k - Burma