The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Daniel Adair Cormack
- Regimental #:
- ‘A’ Company, No 12 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- Grimsby, England
- Father's Name:
- Thomas Quinn
- Mothers's Name:
- Ada Quinn
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Farmer and Driver
- Selarang Camp Changi; River Valley Road Camp; A.G.H. Roberts Barracks Changi (August 1942-January 1943); Selarang Barracks Changi; Changi Gaol Camp;Kranji Hospital Woodlands
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore‐Perth-Duke of Gloucester’s aircraft ‘Endeavour'; Soldier was evacuated to 110 (P)MH ex 2/14th Australian General Hospital Singapore
This soldier enlisted from Kalgoorlie with AIF on 26 January 1916, aged 19 years serving as a sapper with 2nd Tunnelling Coy with Rgt. No. 856. He was blown up at Sallon Farm in September 1916 whence he was invalided to England. He was involved in the mining at Charleroi, Belgium in 1918 and invalided out of the AIF with a tumour on 18th August 1919.
Daniel Quinn, from Gwalia, his name is included 1919 Soldiers Reported Ill List From WW1
Daniel married about 1920 to Lillian ‘Elizabeth’ Weston.
Below: Daniel purchases a Rugby six vehicle.
The couple went farming at Yandanooka. They were recorded in the 1931 Electoral Roll.
Prior to enlisting WW2 Quinn was recorded residing 52 Stirling Street, Perth.
Quinn enlisted AIF 23 July 1940 and later joined 2/4th’s ‘A’ Company as a Cook (we are unsure if he gave his correct birth year or place!)
Quinn remained Singapore throughout the war and was evacuated from 2/14th AGH, Singapore on Duke of Gloucester’s aircraft ‘Endeavour’ to Guildford. From here he was evacuated to Hollywood Hospital
After the war Daniel and ‘Elizabeth’ Quinn in 1958 Electoral Roll are living 46 Ruby Street, North Perth, Daniel working as storeman.
1963 they are living 148 Peninsula Road, Maylands with Daniel Storeman.
In 1977 Daniel is residing 5 Hadley St, Safety Bay without ‘Elizabeth’ and with Donald Adair Quinn (possibly Daniel’s son) and Ruby Caroline Francis Quinn. (We believe Elizabeth may have died earlier)
Daniel Quinn died 1979 aged 82 years.
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Kranji Camp Woodlands - Singapore
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Roberts Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore