The Soldier's Details

First Name:
John Frederick
Nick Name:
Jack or Johnny
Regimental #:
'B' Company
Place of Birth:
London, England
Father's Name:
John Helsin
Mothers's Name:
Edith Emily Helsin (nee Field)
Church of England
Pre-war Occupation:
Epitaph, Labuan Memorial, Panel 18, Age 25.
Selarang Camp Changi
'A' Force Burma Green Force No. 3 Battalion
Camps Thailand:
Camps Burma:
Khonkan 55km Camp, ex-Aungganaung 105km Camp, Victoria Point, Kendau 4.8km, Thetkaw 14km, Meilo 75km,
Rakuyo Maru Party, Kumi No. 35
Cause of Death:
Lost at Sea
Place of Death:
South China Sea
Date of Death:

General Description

At the age of 6 months John Frederick Helsin arrived in WA with his widowed mother Edith Emily Helsin (nee Field) and 2 year old sister Dorothy Mabel known as ‘Molly’ in September 1919 from England.

His father, John Malmo Helsin was an Australian born in Victoria, educated and enlisted WA died 3 September 1918, France, WW1.

John Malmo Helsin married 27 February 1917 London, to English born Edith Emily Field.  Helsin was with 16th Battalion.

He won a Military Medal in France whilst serving with the Australian Forces in WW1.



John Malmo Helsin’s father, John Helsin (1st)  arrived in Australia from Denmark.  He married in Melbourne, Australia to Elizabeth Anne Ridler born England.  Their only son was named John Malmo Helsin as his Danish-born father was born in Malmo.

It is believed John Helsin (Grandfather to John Frederick) died in Victoria about 1889 and Mrs Elizabeth Helsin  (nee Ridler) moved to Western Australia with her son John Malmo Helsin, and two daughters.  It is believed Elizabeth had  Ridler family relatives residing in Western Australia.





Nurse Helsin, as she was known, died in 1951.  She obviously enjoyed a strong relationship with her grandson, John Frederick Helsin (the 3rd).  Elizabeth Helsin had encouraged and welcomed her daughter-in-law widowed Edith and her two children who moved from England to WA following the tragic death of her only son in France.


Above: John Malmo Helsin MM



Below:  Elizabeth Helsin (nee Ridler) also lost her brother to WW1.

Above: September 1916




John Helsin (Jnr) was born in England seven months after his father died in France.

In 1924, John’s mother Edith Helsin remarried to Arthur H. Mitchell in Fremantle.



John Helsin.

Quite possibly taken prior to his departure to Woodside, SA and Darwin in 1941.  2/4th did not return to WA before sailing for Singapore on 16 January 1942 (except of course the several hundred soldiers who jumped ship at Gauge Roads, about 100 of whom were unable to reboard before ‘Aquitania’ sailed without them.)



Above:  From Newspapers, October 1943

HELSIN, Corporal, JOHN FREDERICK, WX10095, A.I.F. 2/4 M.G. Bn., Australian Infantry. 12 September 1944. Age 25. Son of John and Edith Emily Helsin, of Palmyra, Western Australia. Panel 18.

Labuan Memorial, Malaysia.




Helsin J F


From Selarang, Singapore John Helsin was selected to work on the Burma end of Burma-Thai Railway, sailing from Singapore harbour to South West Burma.

Please read story of ‘A’ Force Burma, Green Force No. 3 Battalion

Whilst at Aungganaung he was evacuated to Khonkan Hospital Camp before being south to Tamarkan, Thailand when the railway was completed.

At Tamarkan the POWs were rested and recovered from the madness of ‘Speedo’ and building the railway.  Now the Japanese selected those they considered fit (whether the men were or not was a consideration).  John was selected to work in Japan with what would become known as ‘Rakuyo Maru’ Party.  This party was sent by train via Bangkok to French Indo-China, where it was intended they would sail out of Saigon Harbour to Japan.

This was not to be as by this time the American submarines had successfully blockaded the exit and coastline.  After weeks of woking on the wharves and other nearby locations, the POW were loaded onto trains and sent via Bangkok to Singapore where they were to board their ship for Japan.

They were accommodated at River Valley Road Transit Camp.  They were required for work parties, mostly at the wharfs.  There were several failed attempts and visits to wharf to board a ship before eventually they did board ‘Rakuyo Maru’.  Three or four days out of Singapore, this ship, crowded with POWs in its hull was hit by American Submarines.

Only a handful of men survived this horrendous event.

Please read history of Rakuyo Maru.


Edith Emily Mitchell (nee Helsin) died in 1995.

John’s sister ‘Molly’ married Edward Williams, and died Midland 2009.


Kings Park Avenue of Honour




Camp Locations:

  • River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
  • Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
  • Tamuang, Tha Muang 39k - Thailand
  • Aungganaung,105Kilo - Burma
  • Kendau, Kandaw, 4 Kilo - Burma
  • Khonkan, 55Kilo Hospital 360k - Burma
  • Meilo, 75 Kilo, 340k - Burma
  • Saigon - French Indo China
  • Victoria Point, Kawthoung - Burma. \'A\' Force, Green Force No. 3 Btn
  • Thetkaw 14 Kilo - Burma