The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- William Duncan
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- Headquarters Company, No. 1 Platoon Signals
- Place of Birth:
- Perth, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Not Known
- Mothers's Name:
- Amy Constance Grundy
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi; Johore Bahru; Adam Park; Selarang Barracks Changi
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, T Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Return Details 1945:
- Saigon-Bangkok-Singapore by aircraft; Singapore-Sydney, HMT Highland Chieftan; Sydney- Melbourne-Perth by troop train
Bill Grundy enlisted AIF 15 Jan 1941, later joining 2/4th’s HQ Company, No 1 Signals.
It is believed Bill was selected for Saigon Both Party whilst in Thailand. He would have left Singapore 2 February 1945 along with several 2/4th boys.
Bill was recovered from Saigon at wars end, probably had been working on the Saigon Docks.
Biill was one of eight children born to William Stephen Grundy and Annie Constance Gray who married 1899. We believe the Grundy family moved around the State as Bill’s father was employed with Postmasters General Office.
William Stephen Grundy died in 1939.
Below: We know Bill was living/working in Kalgoorlie in 1940!
Bill’s mother Annie Grundy died in 1945 while Bill was POW in Thailand.
In l947 Bill married Elizabeth Baronia Buck in Perth. In 1949
Electoral Roll Bill and Elizabeth are living at Tardun, Bill working as a labourer.
Bill Grundy died 19 Feb 1967 aged 55 years at North Beach.
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
- Saigon - French Indo China