The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Donald Spencer
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- 'C' Company
- Place of Birth:
- Dangin, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- James Edmund McGlinn
- Mothers's Name:
- Victoria 'Elizabeth' McGlinn (nee Bond)
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Railways Platelayer
- Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, Plot 1, Row J, Grave 44, Age 28.
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
- 'D' Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Tarsau, Kanu II
- 3/8883 & 8817
- Cause of Death:
- Dysentery and Avitaminosis
- Place of Death:
- Date of Death:
- Cemetery No. 2, Grave No. 45 Tarsau, on 16.7.1943
Having survived the Battle for Singapore, Don was POW Singapore when he was selected with ‘D’ Force, S Battalion to work on the Burma-Thailand Railway. S Battalion included a large number of 2/4th ‘boys’. They departed Singapore by train for Thailand 14 March 1943.
Buried by John Waddell & S. A. ‘Sue’ Currie from 2/4th.
Don McGlinn is first cousin to Frank McGlinn WX8478 who returned to Australia, but tragically died in an accident a few years later.
Their fathers are brothers. Don’s father James Edmund McGlinn is two years younger than Thomas McGlinn father of Frank. James and Thomas are two of about 15 children born to parents David Patrick McGlinn and Sarah Ashworth of York.
Kanchanaburi War Cemetery. Photo taken January 2018
James Edmund McGlinn married 1910 at York to Sarah Victoria ‘Elizabeth’ Bond. Don was one of seven sons and 1 daughter.
Don was working at Lake Biddy/Lake Grace for WAGR when he enlisted in April 1941.
Don’s parents and family erected a headstone in memory of him at Kukerin Cemetery, Dumbleyung Shire.
Don’s mother ‘Elizabeth’ died in 1984.
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Kanu II, 152.30k - Thailand
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand