The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- John Cecil
- Regimental #:
- Attached to 2/4th, Australian Army Ordnance Corps
- Place of Birth:
- Perth, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Cecil Swift
- Mothers's Name:
- Hilda Rachel Urquhart Swifi
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Motor Mechanic
- Selarang Camp Changi, Johore Bahru, Adam Park, Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp), Selarang Barracks Changi.
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, V Battalion.
- Camps Thailand:
- Kinsaiyok, Hindaine, Hindato, Nacompaton, Bangkok (go‐downs), Japanese Transport Camp with Wally Bow and Ron Manthorpe.
- Return Details 1945:
- Bangkok‐Rangoon by aircraft, Rangoon-Singapore, HMT Highland Brigade,
Innes and Bishop did not live to return to Australia.
The above was included ‘Daily News’ 12 Sep 1945 – the article wrote of numerous communications between freed POWs and their loved ones.
John Swift was recovered from Saigon at the end of the war. Note the article says John was in Rangoon (Burma) which seems unusual – however freed POWs were sometimes able to get themselves onto flights other than to Singapore via Bangkok, which was the most used route for Australian POWs returning to Perth.
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore
- Hindaine, Kui Mang 200k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand
- Nacompaton, Nakom Pathom Hospital - Thailand