The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Herbert John
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘C’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Dongolocking, Dumbleyung, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Roy Henry Wall
- Mothers's Name:
- Edith Annie Wall
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi
- ‘ A’ Force Burma, Green Force, No. 3 Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kanchanaburi, Non Pladuk
- Camps Burma:
- Khonkan 55km
- Camps Japan:
- 1520 & 290
- Rakuyo Maru Party, Kumi No. 35 (rescued by Imperial Japanese Navy)
- Return Details 1945:
- Sakata‐Sendai by train, Sendai‐Yokohama, HMS Wakeful, Yokohama-Okinawa‐Manila by aircraft, Manila‐Sydney, HMS Formidable, Sydney-Melbourne-Adelaide by troop train, Adelaide-Perth by aircraft.
L-R: Kyros, Badock, Jim Elliott, John Gilmour, Bert Wall, Bob Dunnell, Wally Holding, Dick Ridgwell, Alf Worth
Read the story Members of 2/4th nominated for Medal but not awarded.
And the story written by Roy Cornford NX44955 of the 2/19th Battalion.
View Peter Winstanley’s video interview of Bert Wall WX12989.
Read more on the Donnybrook Boys.
Read Bert’s affidavit relating to the conditions on transport Rakyo Maru WX12989 Wall.
Height 5′ 9″
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Kanchanaburi, 50k - Thailand
- Non Pladuk, 0k - Thailand
- Khonkan, 55Kilo Hospital 360k - Burma
- Sakata, Sendai #9-B - Japan