The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Richard William
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘B’ Company Headquarters
- Place of Birth:
- Perth, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Alfred George Ridgwell
- Mothers's Name:
- Myrtle Ivy Ridgwell
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Mechanical Fitter
- Selarang Camp Changi, Johore Bahru, Adam Park, Sime Road Camp, Selarang Barracks Changi
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kanu II , Hintok Road Camp, Kinsaiyok, Konkoita, Tarsau, Tamarkan, Chungkai, Nakon Nayok, Bangkok
- 4 /6544 and 8834
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft; Singapore-Morotai-Wewak-Townsville by aircraft; Townsville-Sydney-Melbourne-Perth by train
BANGKOK, THAILAND. 1945-09-16. 8TH AUSTRALIAN DIVISION EX-PRISONERS OF WAR (POWS) OF THE JAPANESE AT THE WAR MEMORIAL IN THE EUROPEAN SECTION OF THE TOWN DURING A CITY SIGHTSEEING TOUR. SHOWN: CORPORAL H. R. HENDERSON, 2/3RD AUSTRALIAN MOTOR TRANSPORT COMPANY (1); PRIVATE W. RIDGEWELL, 2/4TH AUSTRALIAN MACHINE GUN BATTALION (2); DRIVER S. R. HOLLAND, 3RD AUSTRALIAN RESERVE MOTOR TRANSPORT COMPANY (3).
Prior to joining the 2/4th Battalion Dick was linked to the Regimental Training Depot holding the position of Corporal, on signing on to the 2/4th he reverted to Private.
At 98 years of age, Dick Ridgwell is our oldest attending Committee member. He is most highly regarded. We admire his forthrightness!
Watch the video interview of Dick Ridgewell, WX14197, with Peter Winstanley.
Read the stories, Dick’s encounter with a Sikh in Singapore
Listen to an oral interview with Dick in February 2001. recorded in Singapore
Please read about Dick at Tarsau Camp Hospital. A sick man himself, he helped mates in a worse state than himself.
From Tarsau Dick was sent to Tamarkan, Chungaki and Nakom Nayok. When the war ended he was transported by truck to Bangkok where the POWs were flown to Singapore.
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Sime Road Camp - Singapore
- Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
- Hintok, 154k - Thailand
- Kanu II, 152.30k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand
- Nakom Nayok, Nakhon Nayok - Thailand
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand
- Konkoita (Brigade or Cholera Camp) - Thailand
- Bangkok - Thailand