The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Clifford Vaughan
- Sergeant (Promoted 24.1.1942)
- Regimental #:
- Battalion Headquarters
- Place of Birth:
- Perth, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Clifford John Smith
- Mothers's Name:
- Annie Vaughan Smith
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Road Contractor and Truck Driver
- Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery, Special Memorial 'C', Plot A14, Row C, Grave 15, Age 38.
- Selarang Camp Changi, Johore Bahru, Adam Park, Selarang Barracks Changi
- ‘F’ Force, Thailand
- Cause of Death:
- Cardiac Beri-Beri
- Place of Death:
- Kami Sonkurai
- Date of Death:
- Grave No. 283, Kami Sonkurai
Cliff Vaughan married Gladys May Alexander in 1928. (She died October 1983 and was buried at East Rockingham Cemetery).
Cliff’s parents Clifford John Smith and Annie Vaughan Roberts married in 1901 in Perth. Cliff was the eldest of three sons. Tragically Cliff’s mother Annie died about 1909, possibly after the birth of her youngest son Roy Smith. The family were at the time residing at Greenbushes. Cliff Smith (Snr) later remarried.
Below: Cliff’s father Cliff (Snr) died
Below, Cliff and Gladys elder son Alexander Vaughan died aged 9 years. It is thought he was a passenger in a car accident, and died from head injuries.
Cliff’s name is included on the Rockingham WW2 Honour Roll and of course Ballarat POW Memorial.
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Kami Songkurai, 299k - Thailand