The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Albert John
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘C’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Kojonup, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- John Struthoff
- Mothers's Name:
- Ellen Struthoff
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Kranji War Cemetery, Plot 26, Row C, Grave 1, Age 30.
- Selarang Camp Changi, returned to River Valley Road Transit camp from Saigon, to await Rakuyo Maru.
- ‘A’ Force Burma, Green Force, No. 3 Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Camps Burma:
- Victoria Point, Kendau, Thetkaw, Meiloe, Aungganaung,
- 1516 & 1657
- Rakuyo Maru Party, Saigon
- Cause of Death:
- Place of Death:
- Tan Son Nhut, French Indo-China
- Date of Death:
- Chi Hoa Cemetery, Saigon.
AWM: TAN SON NHUT, NEAR SAIGON, VIETNAM, 1954-03-06. GRAVE OF WX15869, PTE A.J. STRUTHOFF, 2/4TH MGB , THE BRITISH WAR CEMETERY. PTE STRUTHOFF DIED ON 1944-09-19 WHILST A POW. HIS REMAINS HAVE SINCE BEEN EXHUMED AND INTERRED IN PLOT 26, ROW C, GRAVE1, KRANJI WAR CEMETERY, SINGAPORE.
Albert John Strutthoff, Kranji War Cemetery,
Plot 26, Row C, Grave 1.
Travelling with the Rakuyo Maru Party from Thailand, and during a brief stay at Saigon Bert fell ill on 23 June 1944 and died in a rest room as a result to pneumonia at 2100 hours on 19th September. His death certificate was signed on 21 September by Captain Sugiyama Tomokichi, an officer with the Imperial Japanese Army Medical Department. Albert was buried at the Chi Hoa Cemetery, Saigon and his remains were exhumed and reburied at Kranji War Cemetery after the war.
Below: probably shipping arrival of Struthoff family 1912.
Below: Johann Struthoff’s employment with WAGR
Whilst residing at Muradup (near Kojonup) in 1916 and 1917 Electoral Rolls, Johann is fettler, Muradup and wife is Janet.
Albert John Struthoff was born Kojonup 1914. It seems very likely Janet Struthoff is mother of Albert John, and probably died. (Unable to find death records).
Below: believed to be children from Struthoff’s first marriage, Meta and Keith.
Below: Johann participated in local interests.
Johann Struthoff married Ellen Bullen in 1921.
1925 Electoral Roll show Johann and Ellen living Muradup, he is fettler – moving to Greenbushes.
In 1931 they were residing Kalamunda and in 1943 were at Morley Park where Johann was labourer.
Albert ‘Bert’ Struthoff was living Roleystone 1936, 1937. When he enlisted he gave his parents address, Morley Park.
Johann Struthoff believed to born Germany 14 July 1881, and died Claremont, died 1957. Ellen Struthoff died January 1964 at Victoria Park aged 84 years.
News received by Struthoff family 1943 about Bert and another mate Bob Ritchie. McDonald and Struthoff have a connection through living Kojonup area.
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Aungganaung,105Kilo - Burma
- Kendau, Kandaw, 4 Kilo - Burma
- Meilo, 75 Kilo, 340k - Burma
- Saigon - French Indo China
- Victoria Point, Kawthoung - Burma. \'A\' Force, Green Force No. 3 Btn
- Thetkaw 14 Kilo - Burma