The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- George Douglas
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- Headquarters Company
- Place of Birth:
- London, England
- Father's Name:
- George Thomas Tanner
- Mothers's Name:
- Alice Beatrice Legg
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi, Johore Bahru, Adam Park, Selarang Barracks Changi.
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, V Battalion.
- Camps Thailand:
- Brankassi (only camp on V Battalion), Non Pladuk.
- Camps Japan:
- Fukuoka sub-Camp No. 17, Omuta
- 4/6700 & 653
- Aramis Party
- Return Details 1945:
- Nagasaki‐Manila, US Navy Ship, Manila-Morotai-Darwin, PBY Catalina aircraft A24-354 (admitted to hospital with lung problems). Darwin-Perth, B24 Liberator aircrafi, transferred to 110(P)MH.
Doug Tanner was a Fairbridge Farm Boy.
He was one of 22 boys and girls who arrived in Australia on ‘Ballarat’ 15/5/1934. Doug was 12 years old. He was accommodated at ‘Newton’ House. He has two older sisters and was 4 years old when his mother, Alice Beatrice Tanner (nee Legg) born 1879 died in 1926 at the age of 47 years. His father George Thomas Tanner was born 1880 and died in 1940.
Doug WX16324 and Fairbridge Kid Reg Tooze WX16323 were together when they enlisted. Reg Tooze was KIA 11 February 1942 aged 21 years.
Doug was Taken in Strength to Woodside Camp, South Australia on 5th October 1941. Tooze was Taken on Strength Fremantle 16th January 1941 with ‘Aquitania’.
Following the surrender of the Allies to Japan Doug became a POW at Selarang Camp Changi, later moving to Johore Bahru then Adam Park work parties. He moved back to Selarang. He was selected to work on the Burma-Thai Railway with ‘D’ Force Thailand V Battalion and departed Singapore on 17th March 1943 to travel for four days in crowded conditions by train to Thailand.
Please read about ‘D’ Force V Battalion Group 6
In 1946 Doug married Stella Evelyn Hicks, born 5 August 1924. Doug and Stella made their home in Collie where he was employed in mining.
Doug and Stella had a family of several sons and one daughter Pattie. Of their sons it is known Raymond George Tanner 16/12/1946 died 4/5/2011 Coorow, David John Tanner 30/3/1950 died 2007 Collie and William Charles ‘Billy’ 16/10/1953 died 11/3/1987.
It is not known if Doug maintained close contact with his Fairbridge and 2/4th mates, however visited and regularly communicated with ‘Cowboy’ and Marion Matthews at their farm at north Kojonup during the 1950s – 1970s.
Stella died 30 March 1995 and Doug Tanner died 13 October 2000. Both their names are recorded at Collie Cemetery Niche Wall.
Height 5′ 81/2″
Doug was also a Collie boy – returning there to work after the war. Please read further.
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Brankassi, Prang Kasi, 208k - Thailand
- Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
- Nacompaton, Nakom Pathom Hospital - Thailand
- Non Pladuk, 0k - Thailand
- Rin Tin, Lin Tin 180k - Thailand
- Omuta Miike, Fukuoka #17-B - Japan