The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘E’ Company, Special Reserve Battalion
- Place of Birth:
- Collie, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- George Lake
- Mothers's Name:
- Ann Lake
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Epitaph, Labuan Memorial, Panel 18, Age 23.
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
- ‘E’ Force Borneo
- Cause of Death:
- Not Stated
- Place of Death:
- Date of Death:
Wounded in action Bukit Timah. Admitted to Field Ambulance on 11.2.1942 with a shrapnel wound to his right thigh. Transferred to 2/10th Australian General Hospital on 6.3.1942.
George was one of the few lucky men to survive the Japanese ambush at Bukit Timah. Only about 88 of 200 men survived.
George’s good fortunate ran out when he was selected as a POW in Singapore with ‘E’ Force Borneo. He died at Sandakan 8 April 1945 and the young age of 23 years.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Sandakan - Borneo ***
- Lintang Officers Camp, Kuching - Sarawak