The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Archibald William
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘A’ Company Headquarters
- Place of Birth:
- Fremantle, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Horace Thomas
- Mothers's Name:
- Elizabeth Thomas
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Bank Officer
- Selarang Camp Changi
- ‘ A’ Force Burma, Green Force, No. 3 Battalion.
- Camps Thailand:
- Tamarkan, Chungkai, Bangkok, Nacompaton, Bangkok
- Camps Burma:
- Victoria Point, Kendau 4.8km, Thetkaw 14km, Meiloe 75km, Aunggaaung 105km, Reptu 30km Camp
- Return Details 1945:
- Bangkok-Rangoon by aircraft, Rangoon-Singapore, HMT Highland Brigade, Singapore‐Darwin‐Perth by aircraft.
He married May Piper about 1927.
This Officer was appointed as Commanding Officer of ‘A’ Company on Major Saggers taking command of the Special Reserve Battalion in 1942, Singapore.
Officer’s Appointment Terminated 11/12/1945.
Height 5′ 11″
Thomas was selected as a POW Singapore with ‘A’ Force Burma, Green Force No. 3 Battalion to work on the Burma-Thai Railway.
He was at Reptu Hospital Camp – however it is unknown whether he was sick or working there.
When the rail link was completed about end of 1943, the Japanese sent all POWs working on Burma end of railway to Thailand, to one of several large camps.
Thomas was sent to Tamarkan, later Chungkai, Bangkok, and was at Nacompaton when the war ended. From Bangkok he took a flight to Rangoon. From Rangoon sailed ‘Highland Brigade to Singapore.
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Nacompaton, Nakom Pathom Hospital - Thailand
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Aungganaung,105Kilo - Burma
- Kendau, Kandaw, 4 Kilo - Burma
- Meilo, 75 Kilo, 340k - Burma
- Reptu, Retphaw, 30Kilo 385k - Burma
- Bangkok - Thailand
- Victoria Point, Kawthoung - Burma. \'A\' Force, Green Force No. 3 Btn
- Thetkaw 14 Kilo - Burma