The Soldier's Details

First Name:
George Alan Jack
Nick Name:
Regimental #:
‘C’ Company Headquarters
Place of Birth:
Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
Father's Name:
George Thompson
Mothers's Name:
Mary Jane Thompson
Church of England
Pre-war Occupation:
Despatch Hand
Epitaph, Singapore Memorial, Panel 135, Age 36.
Cause of Death:
Executed by the Imperial Japanese Army
Place of Death:
Date of Death:

General Description

Taken by the Imperial Japanese Army on 16/2/1942 from Raffles College Square along with Lieutenant Raphael and Private James Brown.
The Japanese stated that they required drivers.
Neither the officers nor Private Brown were ever seen again.

There were 7 members of 2/4th who were taken by the Japanese Imperial Army for execution. In all cases there does not seem to be any apparent motive except the fact that they were machine gunners. Considering the punishment dealt out by the 2/4th during the Battle of Singapore this was probably reason enough for the Japanese to take vendettas out on the men.

The following is from the diary of Captain Avon Smith-Ryan’s diary for 15 February 1942

‘We were ordered to join the rest of the battalion at the Chinese Cemetery off Holland Road at 1800 hours. I found the rest of ‘B’ Company there as well as Major Green, Anderson, Thomas, Raphael, Thompson and later Tom Bunning. About midday on the 16th we fell in and walked to the Raffles College padang remaining there for 2 days. Thompson, Raphael and one other were whisked away on a truck and haven’t been seen since. RSM Airey was also taken.”

Major Green’s report states
Captain Thompson, Lieutenant Raphael and Private Brown were with the unit at Buona Vista on 15th February 1942, the date of the capitulation of Singapore. On the 16th a portion of the unit was moved to Holland Village and thence to Raffles College Square. During the afternoon of the 16th whilst we were concentrated at Raffles Square a Japanese soldier entered the square and ordered Captain Thompson, Lieutenant Raphael and Private Brown (who were standing at the end of a column) to accompany him. They were marched to the roadside where they were placed on a truck‘.

It is believed that these men were questioned on the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and on Thursday 19th February, at 1715 hours were executed with their hands tied behind their backs.

*Capt. Avon Smith-Ryan Diary, AWM Canberra.
*Report by Major Charles Green on the disappearance of Capt. Thompson, Lieut Raphael & Pte. Brown. Original copy loaned by Major Green’s daughter, Mrs. Barbara Brand.

For further reading go to Stories Two came home – death by Firing Squads

Height 6′ 1/2″

Tragically, Thompson’s wife did not learn of her husband’s death until June 1945.


Raphael and Thompson




George married Elizabeth (Betty) Sturrock Christie about 1934 and he and Betty had two children Jan and Alan.

According to the 1937 Electoral Roll the couple resided in South Perth and George’s occupation was recorder as wagon driver.

It is believed Betty remarried about 1951.