The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- George Whittindale
- Regimental #:
- Mentioned in Despatches
- ‘D’ Company Headquarters
- Place of Birth:
- West Perth, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Lewis Howard Gwynne
- Mothers's Name:
- Madeline Isabel Gwynne
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Barrister and Solicitor
- Selarang Camp Changi; Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp); River Valley Road Camp; Selarang Barracks Changi; Levelling Party at Changi Aerodrome Camp; Changi Gaol Camp
- ‘F’ Force Thailand
- Camps Thailand:
- Shimo Sonkurai, Kami Sonkurai, Nikhe, Tanbaya Camp Burma, Kanchanaburi
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Darwin‐Sydney, HMT Arawa; Sydney-Melbourne by troop train; Melbourne-Fremantle, HMT Strathmore
Captain George Gwynne was one of seven Wardmasters at Tanbaya Hospital Camp, Burma. He took care of Ward 6. Bruce Hunt was the M.O. of this camp and mentioned the hardworking Wardmasters who assisted enormously in the efficient running of the hospital. Hunt had isolated diseases in wards so as to assist in medical care and to halt the disease spreading to others.
The bulk of the POWs were moved out of Tanbaya in November 1943. They had to leave behind those too ill to move.
Major Bruce Hunt was M.O. in charge of Tanbaya and Lt. Col. Hutchinson was Administrative Commandant.
Read further about Tanbaya Hospital Camp, Burma.
- Changi Aerodrome - Singapore
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore