The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Ernest Edgar
- Nick Name:
- Lance/Sergeant (Promoted on 11.2.1942 on death of Sandilands)
- Regimental #:
- 'B' Company, No. 8 Platoon. (Platoon Sgt)
- Place of Birth:
- Mount Barker, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Sidney Ernest Hambley
- Mothers's Name:
- Anne Hambley (nee Clothier)
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi; Following return from Thailand - Selarang Barracks Changi; X3 Party; Changi Gaol Camp
- ‘F’ Force Thailand
- 1/7916 and 14757
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Darwin‐Melboume, 1st Netherlands Military Hospital Ship Oranje; Melbourne-Perth by troop train
Soldier’s vision was effected by mortar bomb 10th February 1942 at Mandai Hill. He was admitted to 13th Australian General Hospital 3 March 1942 with choroido retinitis. He was discharged to unit 8 March 1942.
He continued to have impaired vision in his left eye.
He returned with F Force from Thailand to Changi 17.12.1943.
Admitted to AGH Changi 7.1.1944.
X3 Work Party 1.4.1945.
Blue Hambley was recovered from Changi 4th September 1945, Sailed ‘Oranje’ via Darwin to Brisbane to Melbourne. Admitted 115 (H) MH (Heidleberg Hospital, Victoria) 2-3 weeks before travelling by Trooptrain Melbourne to Perth. He was admitted 110 (P) MH 10th October 1945 (Hollywood Hospital, Perth).
Ernst Edgar (Blue) Hambley is older brother to Albert James Hambley WX10745.
Blue Hambley died 9th April 1987.
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore