The Soldier's Details

First Name:
Nick Name:
Regimental #:
'A' Company
Place of Birth:
Glasgow, Scotland
Father's Name:
John Young
Mothers's Name:
Mary Young
Pre-war Occupation:
Kanchanburi War Cemetery, Plot 8, Row G, Grave 72, Age 46.
Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
'D' Force Thailand, S Battalion
Camps Thailand:
Tarsau, Konyu II, Chungkai, Nacompaton.
4/6856 & 8863
Cause of Death:
Beri-Beri, Dysentery, Malaria and Odema
Place of Death:
Date of Death:

General Description

John Young served in WW1.  He enlisted 7 December 1917 serving with Royal Flying Corps as fitter-armourer with No.’s 176 and 27 Squadrons. At end of WW1 Young had served with Palestine Brigade HQ then 111 and 14 Squadrons achieving rank of AC 1st Class.

He was discharged in July 1926 having experienced first hand the formation of Royal Air Force.

John’s Service No. was 157766 (a high number because the fledgling Air Force was a that time part of the Army).


John Young died at Nacompaton, Thailand on the last day of WW2 15th August 1945.

He is also the last man listed on 2/4th Machine Gun Battalion’s Honour Roll.

John arrived in Fremantle 29 September 1926 from London on ‘Benalla.’  He was 25 years old and his occupation was recorded as general farm labourer.

Unfortunately we know nothing of his life prior to enlisting in July 1943  and very little of his life in Scotland.

If family relatives can assist us in providing information we would be most grateful.

Young John


John was selected in Singapore to work on the Burma-Thai Railway with ‘D’ Force S Battalion.  This party included a very large number of 2/4th men, they travelled in crowded small rail trucks from Singapore to Thailand.

Their first major work site was part of Hellfire Pass – Konyu II.

It was here the men worked long hours with minimal food, no medicines, without shoes wearing mostly ‘Jap Happys’.  Cholera was reported at Konyu II and there were deaths.  Their doctor was Phill Millard, whom the men thought very highly of.

Read further about Phil Millard.

As there are no records, we cannot be certain about where John Young went after Konyu II – as the men went to different camps within the area.  These included Hintok and Kinsaiyok.

We believe he was evacuated sick to Chungkai Hospital Camp (after the completion of the railway).  He obviously recovered, sent with work parties elsewhere in Thailand.  Once again there are no records.

He was at Nacompaton Camp, Thailand when he died in August 1945, just before the end of war.

Camp Locations:

  • Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
  • Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
  • Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
  • Kanu II, 152.30k - Thailand