The Soldier's Details

First Name:
Herbert Stanley
Nick Name:
Regimental #:
‘C’ Company
Place of Birth:
Perth, Western Australia
Father's Name:
Thomas Werrett
Mothers's Name:
Annie Werrett
Church of England
Pre-war Occupation:
Railways Porter, W.A.G.R.
Epitaph, Singapore Memorial, Column 135, Age 42.
Cause of Death:
Died of Wounds
Place of Death:
Alexandra Hospital Singapore
Date of Death:

General Description

Soldier was listed as missing in action from 11.2.1942 possibly from the Ulu Pandan area.

Werrett Herbert Stanley
Werrett Herbert Stanley

Prior to his enlistment in 1940, Stan Werrett was residing in Subiaco and working for the WA Government Railways.

In 1925 Stan Werrett married in Perth to Annie Rouse.

Herbert Stanley Werrett (known as Stan) was born on 3rd Aug 1900 at Roe Street, Perth. His birth wasn’t registered however a birth notice was put in the local newspaper. He had a brother, Leslie Tom Victor Werrett, who was born in 1897 and died of nasal diphtheria in Perth on 8th May 1906. The boys’ mother Margaret had died in 1905 at 56 Aberdeen St from the effects of alcohol. His father Tom ran several businesses (furniture dealer, marine store) and was a keen fisherman and member of the W.A Angling Club. Stan was also a keen fisherman and his love of it has been handed down through the generations.

Stan was living at 57 Albany Street (now highway), Victoria Park when he enlisted in the 28th Battalion AIF WW1 aged 17. He served with 7th Brigade, 22nd reinforcements.

The story is that the Marriott family from Shenton Park played a big part in his upbringing.

Stan married Annie Singleton (1889-1966) in Subiaco on 24th Oct 1925. Annie was a widow, 11 years older, who had 2 children. Stan and Annie went on to have 3 children (Shirley, Herbert Stanley (Stan) and Norman).
Shirley is still alive and is aged 91 and remembers her father very well. Shirley recently told me she remembers her father leaving the house to catch a tram into the city to join his battalion. He was walking down the street when he turned and said to the children “ Look after Mum until I get back.”

Shirley remembers her father as very kind and gentle man who would do anything for his children. She vividly remembers the day the telegram boy delivered the telegram informing the family Stan was missing.

Before WW2 Stan worked at several jobs such as shop assistant, porter, brewery hand and labourer. Stan was working for the W.A.G.R , before enlisting in the 2/4th M.G Battalion, loading freight bound for country towns in WA. He was a member of the Australian Workers’ Union and it seems he used to collect the union dues from country members when he was a farm labourer. Unionism has always played a great part in his children and grandchildren’s lives. Stan was also a keen gardener, winning a ‘novice’ prize for chrysanthemum growing from the Subiaco Horticultural Society, of which he was a member. He was a member of the Shenton Park RSL and was also a Freemason of the Grand Lodge of Scotland and attended Lodge St. Andrew. I think he chose the Scottish Lodge because his grandparents were Scottish. I believe life was tough during the Great Depression as Shirley remembers walking barefoot a great distance from Shenton Park to West Perth to get a pair of shoes.

I remember as a child playing around the commemorative clock tower at Subiaco Gardens and knowing that my grandfather’s name was missing from it. The family story was that the Subiaco Council refused to put it on the clock tower because my grandfather wasn’t a ratepayer. Annie, his wife, owned all the property that she had inherited from her parents. A good fight was put up and finally 50 years to the day of Stan’s death his name was inscribed on the clock, albeit out of alphabetical order.

I hope this is information is helpful and wish to thank you and the other volunteers for the effort put into commemorating the lives of these brave men – Jenny Clegg, Granddaughter of Stan Werrett, September 2017.