The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- David Leslie Archibald
- Regimental #:
- ‘A' Company
- Place of Birth:
- Perth, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Oswald Archibald 'Archie' Claude Whiteman
- Mothers's Name:
- Catherine Mary Whiteman 'Kittie' (nee Tobin)
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi, Johore Bahru, Adam Park, Selarang Barracks Changi
- ‘ D ’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kanu II, Tarsau (sick for 12months), Kinsaiyok, Konkoita, Tamarkan, Chungkai, Kanchanaburi, Nakom Nayok, Bangkok.
- 4/4610 & 8737
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand‐Singapore by aircraft, Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Tamaroa
Whiteman was selected in Singapore to work on the Burma-Thai Railway with ‘D’ Force S Battalion. This work Force included a very large number of 2/4th blokes and left by train for Thailand about 14 March 1943.
David Whiteman was the eldest child born to Oswald ‘Archie’ Whiteman and Catherine ‘Kit’ Tobin who married 1916. David was the eldest of four sons. The family resided in the Midland area.
Returning home after the war, David married in 1948 to Sheila Marie O’Neil.
David and Sheila resided at Midland until at least 1954 and later moved to Dianella.
He died 9 May 1984 and Sheila died 2001.
They are buried together at Midland Cemetery.
David’s father Archie Whiteman died in 1968 and Kit died in 1987, sadlly she outlived her son David.
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
- Kanchanaburi, 50k - Thailand
- Kanu II, 152.30k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand
- Nakom Nayok, Nakhon Nayok - Thailand
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand