The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Thomas Sylvester
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- Headquarters Company (Q.M. Store)
- Place of Birth:
- Perth, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Frederick Walter Wayman
- Mothers's Name:
- Hilda Wayman
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Bus Driver
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, Java Party No. 6, P Battalion.
- Camps Thailand:
- Hintok Road Camp, Hintok River Camp, Kinsaiyok, Konkoita, Tamuang, Nacompaton
- Camps Java:
- Bicycle Camp Batavia (April l942‐January 1943)
- Camps Japan:
- Yamane, Niihama
- Rashin Maru Party
- Return Details 1945:
- Wakayama‐Okinawa, USS Sanctuary, Okinawa-Manila, USS Bingham, Manila-Morotai-Darwin,PBYCatalina aircraft A24-306, Darwin-Perth, B29 Superfortress ‘Waltzing Matilda'.
Read more of Tom’s story at Pte. Tom Wayman WX7502.
Read about Java and POW Camps and a group of men who delayed their surrender on Java to the Japanese.
Tom passed away aged 88yrs, August 9 2002, at Melville, WA.
Height 5′ 9″
The below letter was published in ‘Borehole Bulletin’ July 1992.
45 Rome Road
Please find enclosed a donation for ‘Borehole Bulletin’ which I look forward to receiving. Sorry I was not able to attend the Anzac Day Parade (1992) as my legs are not very mobile these days.
T S Wayman
- Hintok, 154k - Thailand
- Hintok River Camp, 158k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand
- Nacompaton, Nakom Pathom Hospital - Thailand
- Tamuang, Tha Muang 39k - Thailand
- Bicycle Camp, Batavia, Jakarta - Java ***
- Nihama, Hiroshima #2-B- Japan
- Yamane, Hiroshima #3-D - Japan