The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Harry Laurence
- Regimental #:
- Headquarters Company, No. 3 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- Margate, England
- Father's Name:
- Harry Elkins
- Mothers's Name:
- Emily Elkins
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Railways Yardman
- Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, Plot 1, Row H, Grave 13, Age 37.
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
- 'D' Force Thailand, V Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kinsaiyok, Brankassi.
- 4/6097 & 2239
- Cause of Death:
- Dysentery and Acute Enteritis
- Place of Death:
- Date of Death:
- Brankassi Cemetery, Grave No. 37.
Read the story on the Beacon Memorial.
Harry sailed ‘Ormonde’ from London to Fremantle arriving 24 September 1920. He was aged 14 years. It is not known when his parents or any of his siblings arrived as his name was listed without family. One brother Edward Charles was employed as a farmhand at Gabbin when Harry was farming in the Beacon area at North Marindo, Location 3260.
Harry married Annie Whyte in 1940.
Harry Elkin farmed at Cleary up until late 1930’s.
Annie Elkins and her son were residing in Shenton Park when Harry was serving in the AIF.
He was survived by his widow Annie Elkins nee Whyte. Annie died in 1995 aged 92 years.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Brankassi, Prang Kasi, 208k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand