The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Archibald Henry
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘C’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Broome, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- George Harry Dyson, Stepfather: Edward James Ribe
- Mothers's Name:
- Myra Dyson
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Factory Worker and Truck Driver
- Selarang Camp Changi; Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp); Selarang Barracks Camp
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Tarsau (remained refueling trains, did not accompany S Battalion to Kanu II), Kanchanaburi
- Camps Japan:
- Yamane; Niihama
- 3/7653, 8722 and 1606
- Rashin Maru Party
- Return Details 1945:
- Wakayama‐Okinawa, USS Sanctuary; Okinawa, admitted to the 233rd General Hospital on 19.9.1945; Okinawa-Manila, not known but likely by aircraft; Manila-Sydney, HMS Formidable; Sydney-Melbourne-Perth by aircraft
Dyson was wounded in action at Hill 200, Ulu Pandan on 11.2.1942. He received a shrapnel wound to his left buttock, however remained on duty.
Strawb sailed on the( ‘Byoki) Rashin Maru’ to Japan to work firstly at Yamane from Sep 1944 to June 1945. Then at Niihama from June 1945 to September 1945.
It was here that Strawb became pinned between a copper ore cart and the mine wall in January 1945. Both legs were injured and with the doctor sick at the time and an infection set in one of his legs. He was taken to a Japanese hospital where his leg was drained. It was not until 13 September1945 that he was able to walk without crutches, the day he left Niihama to board USS Sanctuary at Wakinyama.
He admitted to hospital at Okinowa on 19 September 1945 and the next day evacuated to Manila.
On arrival in Sydney he was admitted to 113 (C) MH.
In Melbourne was admitted to 115 (H) MH and then flown home to Perth.
On arrival in Perth he was admitted to to 10 (P) MH on 8.11.1945.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore
- Kanchanaburi, 50k - Thailand
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand
- Nihama, Hiroshima #2-B- Japan
- Yamane, Hiroshima #3-D - Japan