The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Hurtle Stanley
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘C’ Company, No 10 Platoon.
- Place of Birth:
- Bute, South Australia
- Father's Name:
- Herbert Hall Fidge
- Mothers's Name:
- Matilda Shannan Fidge
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi; River Valley Road (Jeep Island, dry dock); Changi Gaol Camp Hospital (ulcer in left eye, removed from Japan draft); Transferred to Changi Administration on 28.1.1945; X10 Party
- ‘ A’ Force Burma, Green Force No. 3 Battalion
- Rakuyo Maru Party, Kumi No. 35
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Darwin‐Sydney, HMT Arawa; Sydney-Melbourne by troop train; Melbourne-Fremantle, HMT Strathmore
Bert was selected with ‘A’ Force Burma, No. 3 Battalion to work on the Burma end of the Railway, departing Singapore to sail to Burma on 14 May 1942.
This group of men first arrived at Victoria Point, before moving to Tavoy, Ye, Thanbyuzat, Kendau, Thetkaw, Meiloe, Augganaung before moving south to Thailand.
It was here Bert was considered fit by the Japanese and selected to work in Japan with Kumi 35. They were transported through Bangkok to Phom Penh and to Saigon. It was here the Japanese now realised the Allied blockade was too efficient and they were no longer able to sail safely out of Saigon to Japan. The POWs were to be sent back by rail to Singapore to be shipped to Japan!
Arriving back in Singapore the men were accommodated at River Valley Road Camp where they were to work on dry docks awaiting their sailing ship.
In September 1944 Bert was found to have a cornea ulcer in his left eye and soon after in his right eye. He was removed from the Japan draft because he was almost blind and remained in Changi.
When his sight sufficiently recovered he worked with the X10 Party. Read further.
He was transferred to Changi Administration 28 Jan 1945.
He was recovered at the end of the war from Changi on 4 September 1945.
Bert passed away aged 85yrs, November 3 2001, at Alstone, NSW.
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore