The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Alexander Meora
- Nick Name:
- Sandy, Alec
- Regimental #:
- Batman/Runner (transferred to Special Reserve Bn. Headquarters on 7.2.1942) Batmann to Major Saggers
- 'A' Company, No 4 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- Bridgetown, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- William Wilton Meora Steven Hack
- Mothers's Name:
- Charlotte Scott Hack (nee Murray)
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Epitaph, Labuan Memorial, Panel 18, Age 38.
- Selarang Camp Changi
- ‘B’ Force Borneo
- Cause of Death:
- Beri‐Beri and Heart Failure
- Place of Death:
- Sandakan‐Ranau track, 1st Ranau march
- Date of Death:
Pte Alex Hack died on First march Sandakan-Ranau track. After the war his remains were recovered from Mandorin, a tributary to Labuk.
HACK, Private, ALEXANDER MEORA, WX8003, A.I.F. 2/4 M.G. Bn., Australian Infantry. 4 February 1945. Age 38. Son of William Wilton Meora Stephen Hack and Charlotte Scott Hack, of Boyup Brook, Western Australia. Panel 18
Labuan Memorial, Malaysia
There is a headstone for Alec Hack at the Cemetery of Boyup Brook with the inscription:
“POW Sandakan, Borneo,
Died February 1945 Aged 38 Years.
Resting Place Unknown
Son of Charlotte and William”
His name and number are also included on the Sandakan Memorial, near the Shire Council of Boyup Brook.
Hack’s parents Charlotte and William married in 1902. Alexander was the eldest of at least 4-5 sons. His father William died in 1941 and his mother in 1958.
In 1931 Hack was working as a blacksmith at Princess Royal Mine, Southern Cross. In 1943 he was recorded as farmer Kininup, Bridgetown. His enlistment details record his occupation as a shearer.
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Sandakan - Borneo ***