The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Laurance Anzac Christian
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- 'C' Company
- Place of Birth:
- Ravensthorpe, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Herman Robert Kuhlmann
- Mothers's Name:
- Bertha Matilda Kuhlmann
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, Plot 1, Row F, Grave 59, Age 27.
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi, A.G.H. Roberts Barracks Changi
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, V Battalion
- 1/8312 & 2263
- Cause of Death:
- Acute Colitis
- Place of Death:
- Non Pladuk
- Date of Death:
- Grave 9B, Non Pladuk
Standing L-R Brother Hermon, Henry, Seated L-R: Laurance, Stella and Robert.
Wounded in action Jurong Road. Admitted to 2/9th Field Ambulance with shrapnel wounds to the left chest and back on 9.2.1942. Discharged to unit on 21.6.1942.
Laurie Kuhlmann was known to be a good larrikin. He was selected with ‘D’ Force V Battalion to work on the Burma-Thai Railway. This Battalion endured one of the highest death rates with illness and tragically Laurie died of acute colitis at Non Pladuk aged 27 years on the 3 March 1944.
Today Laurie rests at the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery with 91 mates from the 2/4th.
Photograph taken Kanchanaburi War Cemetery January 2018.
- Roberts Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Non Pladuk, 0k - Thailand