The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- John William Haynes
- Lance Corporal
- Regimental #:
- ‘C’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Broome, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Richard William Needham (Rev)
- Mothers's Name:
- Isabella Needham (nee Strang)
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Motor Mechanic
- Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery, Plot A9, Row D, Grave 10, Age 30.
- Selarang Camp Changi
- ‘A’ Force Burma, Green Force, No. 3 Battalion
- Camps Burma:
- Khonkan 55km Camp (tropical ulcers on right foot)
- Cause of Death:
- Place of Death:
- Khonkan 55km Camp
- Date of Death:
- Grave No. 259, Khonkan
John Needham is remembered at the Collie War Memorial.
He was employed at Big Bell Mine, Mt. Magnet as a motor mechanic prior to enlisting in 1940. John recorded his mother Isabella as his NOK.
John’s mother Isabella Strang was born 1881 Everton, England and migrated to WA. Isabella married Richard William Needham about 1903 Fremantle. Richard was born 1870 Norwood, SA and his parents moved to WA when he was young.
Richard and Isabella had four daughters and one son, John. Three sisters were born between 1905 and 1910, and then Betty was born after John in 1918, Northam. The Needham family moved regularly with Richard’s work with the Church.
Richard Needham died in 1935 at Narrogin and his mother died in 1950.
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore