The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Albert George
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- Headquarters Company
- Place of Birth:
- Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Ernest George Hayes
- Mothers's Name:
- Sarah Hayes
- Roman Catholic
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Epitaph, Labuan Memorial, Panel 18, Age 33.
- River Valley Road Transit Camp
- 'A' Force Burma, Java Party No 4, Williams Force
- Camps Thailand:
- 131km, 133km, Kanchanaburi (13.1.1944)
- Camps Burma:
- Tanyin, Anakwin, Taungzan Mezali, Apalon, Kyondaw
- Camps Java:
- Bicycle Camp Batavia
- Rakuyo Maru Party, Kumi No. 38
- Cause of Death:
- Lost at Sea
- Place of Death:
- South China Sea
- Date of Death:
Soldier was AWOL when ‘Aquitania’ departed Fremantle for Singapore 1942.
Pte Hayes was one of 98 2/4th men who was soon after sent to Java. In Java he was part of ‘Blackforce’ which formed an alliance with local forces. Allied forces were taken POWs within two months and imprisoned on Java
He was with No. 4 Java Group arrived Singapore 12.10.1942 and departed two days later.
With Williams Force he worked 131 to 133 K (Nihke) 20.12.1943.
133K to No. 3 Camp Hospital Kanchanaburi 13.1.1944.
He left with No. 3 for Japan 22.3.1944.
Travelled via Bangkok, Phon Pehn, Saigon, Phom Penh to
Singapore to leave for Japan.
He perished in South China Sea 12 Sep 1944 when ‘Rakuyo’ Maru was torpedoed by American submarines aged 33 years.
Ernst George Hayes married Sarah Pearce in Boulder 1906. Ernst ‘George’ was born in Victoria and moved to Goldfields and Sarah Pearce was born South Australia. The Hayes had 5 daughters and Albert George Hayes was one of two sons.
In 1916, Ernest ‘George’ Hayes, miner died aged 39 years at Boulder.
The Hayes moved to live North Fremantle.
In 1926, George’s sister19 year old Irene Hayes died.
In 1939 George’s mother Sarah died aged 55 years. She had apparently remarried.
George Hayes enlisted October 1940 and joined the 2/4th’s HQ Company.
Sadly we know little else of George’s life. Should any Hayes family members read this, please contact us. We would love to hear from you.
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Kanchanaburi, 50k - Thailand
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand
- Apalon, Apalaine, 80 Kilo, 337k - Burma
- Taungzun, 60 Kilo, 358k - Burma
- Garoet - Java
- Saigon - French Indo China
- Tanyin 35 Kilo Camp - Burma
- Anakwin 45 Kilo Camp - Burma
- Mezali 70km Camp - Burma
- Kyondaw 95 Kilo Camp – Burma