The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- John Blain
- Regimental #:
- 'A' Company
- Place of Birth:
- Claremont, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Colin Mellor
- Mothers's Name:
- Lilian Mellor
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi, Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) River Valley Road Camp, Selarang Barracks Changi.
- D' Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- 1/8665, 8807
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft, Singapore-Sydney (details unknown) Sydney-Fremantle, HMT Otranto
John’s parents Colin Mellor and Lillian Grace Rose married 1906 at Claremont. It is believed the Mellor family continued to reside in the area of Claremont. Lillian Mellor died in 1931 and Colin died in 1958.
John Mellor married in 1931 to Constance Ethel Waldby, they lived in the area of Claremont/Nedlands moving to to Harvey Road, Subiaco. After the war their home then became part of Shenton Park. They resided here until at least 1977.
Soldier was wounded in action Ulu Pandan on 12/2/1942. Admitted to A.G.H. on 16/2/1942 with shrapnel wounds and discharged to unit on 21/2/1942.
John Mellor was selected with ‘D’ Force S Battalion to work on the Burma-Thai Raliway. This group contained the largest number of 2/4th men. They were sent via Tarsau to Kanu II camp, the Hellfire Pass area.
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore
- Nacompaton, Nakom Pathom Hospital - Thailand