The Soldier's Details

First Name:
Louis Joseph
Nick Name:
Regimental #:
‘B’ Company, No. 8 Platoon.
Place of Birth:
Perth, Western Australia
Father's Name:
Aloysius Farquhar Daily
Mothers's Name:
Agnes Josephine Daily
Roman Catholic
Pre-war Occupation:
Shop Assistant and Fetter’s Labourer
Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
Camps Thailand:
Chungkai, Tamuang
Camps Japan:
Yamane, Niihama (No 4 Party, wharf)
Rashin Maru Party
Return Details 1945:
Wakayama‐Okinawa, USS Sanctuary, Manila-Sydney, HMS Speaker, Sydney-Fremantle, HMT Dominion Monarch

General Description

Leo Walsh & Lou Daily
Leo Walsh & Lou Daily


Lou commenced his senior football career with Subiaco in 1931. He was a much travelled footballer during his career playing for Collingwood in 1933 and Geelong in 1934 before returning to Subiaco in 1935.

In 1935, ‘36 and ‘37 he won Subiaco’s Fairest and Best award. In 1935 he was the Sandover medallist.

In 1938 Daly made the decision to leave Subiaco and went to Kalgoorlie to captain/coach.    Whilst in Kalgoorlie he continued to play excellent football winning his club’s Fairest and Best in 1939. He also captained a winning Goldfields team against South Australia.

 Lou’s football career was short,  however he was considered to be one of the finest players of his generation. He was 6’1” tall, known for his strength in he air, superb kicking and his skill of reading the game.

In October 1940 whilst at Kalgoorlie, Lou enlisted.

In February 1941 it was reported in the local Kalgoorlie newspaper that Daily was on leave along with two other 2/4th men, Jack Sanderson and Leo Walsh, the three mates were in “B” Company.

Neither Sanderson or Walsh survived. Sanderson died 18th July 1943 of beri beri and dysentery at Tarsau having been evacuated from Kanu I. Leo Walsh tragically died at sea on 12th September 1944 when the Rakuyo Maru was hit by an American torpedo. Walsh was selected in ‘A’ Force Thailand and was at Tamarkan before sailing on Rakuyo Maru from, Singapore headed to Japan.

Daily and Sanderson were selected for ‘D’ Force Thailand, S Battalion however Daly went to Chungkai and Tamaung and Sanderson went to Kanu II and Kanu I.

Although Daly was involved with Changi Football, it is believed he did not play possibly due to problems with his eyesight.  The transfer fees were 3 portions of ice with vegetables!

Lou was very much involved in 2/4th Football team

In 1946 it was reported in a WA newspaper Lou was in hospital in Northam.  He had suffered a serious eye impairment whilst a POW.

After the war Lou Daily chose to live in Victoria where he farmed at Listerfield – another newspaper report mentioned he was a poultry famer at Ferntree Gully!  Still Lou preferred Victorian countryside.

Lou’s name was mentioned in the ‘Borehole Bulletin’ from time to time – in April 1972 Lou, his wife Sadie and family living a very quiet life at Lysterfield.  Mates were often trying to tempt Lou to visit WA to visit.

Lou died in Heidleberg, Victoria on 29 August 1974 aged 63 years.

Daily Lou

Daily return P 2

The above was published in the Daily News, Western Australia 23rd October 1944.  The ship is Rashin Maru.


Daily & maters visit Kalgoorlie/Boulder February 1941
Daily & mates visit Kalgoorlie/Boulder February 1941

Camp Locations:

  • Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
  • Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
  • Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
  • Nihama, Hiroshima #2-B- Japan
  • Yamane, Hiroshima #3-D - Japan