The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- Headquarters Company, No 3 Platoon (Water duty)
- Place of Birth:
- Glasgow, Scotland
- Father's Name:
- Robert McEwen
- Mothers's Name:
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi
- 'A' Force Burma, Green Force, No. 3 Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Tamarkan (hospital 29.4.1944)
- Camps Burma:
- Victoria Point, Kendau 4.8km, Thetkaw 14km, Meiloe 75km, Aungganaung 105km, Khonkan 55km (1.7.1943)
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft, Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Tamaroa.
McEwen was selected in Singapore to work on Burma Thai Railway with ‘A’ Force Burma, Green Force No. 3 Battalion which departed Singapore in 3 ships about 14 March 1942. ‘A’ Force included 3,000n POWs. Green Force left their ship at Victoria Point where they would repair and enlarge the aerodrome before heading for the northern most point of the Burma-Thai rail link, commencing work on 1st October 1943.
He was hospitalised (RAP) Thetkaw 20 Feb 1943, sent to Khonkan Hospital 1 July 1943 from Aungganang from where he was evacuated to Tamarkan, Thailand 29 April 1944.
He was recovered from Thailand at the end of the war.
We have no further information about William McEwen.
He died 1964 aged 62 years at Murray District, WA.
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Aungganaung,105Kilo - Burma
- Kendau, Kandaw, 4 Kilo - Burma
- Khonkan, 55Kilo Hospital 360k - Burma
- Meilo, 75 Kilo, 340k - Burma
- Victoria Point, Kawthoung - Burma. \'A\' Force, Green Force No. 3 Btn
- Thetkaw 14 Kilo - Burma