The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- John Cuthbert
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘ B ’ Company Headquarters
- Place of Birth:
- Adelaide, South Australia
- Father's Name:
- Harold Colbey
- Mothers's Name:
- Clara Colbey
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Gold Miner
- Selarang Camp Changi, Thomson Road (Caldecote Hill Estate Camp), Selarang Barracks Changi (Forest Party), Pulau Blakang Mati, Changi Gaol Camp, Kranji Camp Woodlands
- Was selected for ‘F’ Force but was evacuated to Australian General Hospital, Roberts Barracks on 18.4.1943 with amblyopia (impaired vision) and missed the draft
- Return Details 1945:
- Not Known
Jack Cuthbert was driver to Capt. Smith-Ryan.
During the fighting at Singapore, he was ordered by C.O. to lay down arms at Botanic Gardens 2000 hours 14 February 1942.
Changi – Selarang Feb 1942 – May 1942
Thomson Road May 1942 – Dec 1942 (Caldecote Hill Estate Camp)
Changi Gaol Camp Dec 1942 – Nov 1943
Blakang Mati Nov1943 – Aug 1945
Colbey was available for ‘F’ Force, however was evacuated to AGH Changi on 18 Apr 1943 with amblyopia (impaired vision). He was recovered from Kranji Camp on 31 August 1945.
Colbey married at Fremantle in 1941 to Elizabeth Stella Mulchay.
After the war the couple were found to be living in 1949 at Norseman where Jack Colbey was a miner, in 1958 they were living at Preston Point Road , East Fremantle then from about 1972 through to 1980 Jack was working as a station-hand and the couple were residing at Milly Milly Station, Cue.
Elizabeth died October 1983 and Jack died 28 October 2011 at the age of 99 years. Elizabeth and Jack were buried at Karrakatta cemetery.
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Kranji Camp Woodlands - Singapore
- Pulau Blakang Mat - Singapore ***
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore