The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Ronald Keith
- Regimental #:
- ‘A’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Kalgoorlie, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- George Henry Gregory
- Mothers's Name:
- Janet Margaret Ronald Gregory (nee Grieve)
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi; Sime Road Camp; Kranji Hospital Woodlands (10 months); Changi Gaol Camp
- ‘F’ Force Thailand
- Camps Thailand:
- Shimo Sonkurai, Tanbaya Hospital Camp Burma (3 months), Kanchanaburi
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Labuan by aircraft; Labuan- Morotai-Melbourne, 2/2 HM Australian Hospital Ship Wanganella; Melbourne-Perth by troop train
Rons’s older brother John Gregory WX8674 died of cholera 1/6/1943 Shimo (Lower) Sonkurai, aged 39 years. The brothers were both working here at the same time having left Singapore with ‘F’ Force. John’s death to cholera would have been huge shock for Ronald.
John Gregory enlisted one week before brother Ron, with John in ‘B’ Coy and Ron in ‘A’ Company. The brothers were however together in Singapore at Selarang Camp and Barracks before being selected with ‘F’ Force and sent to Thailand. We believe the brothers were at Shimo Sonkurai at the same time. Ron was evacuated to Tanbaya Hospital Camp, in Burma (the hospital camp for ‘F’ Force) where he remained 3 months before being evacuated to Kanchanaburi.
When he returned to Singapore from Kanchaburi he was billeted at Sime Road Camp, followed by Kranji Hospital Woodlands for 10 months, before moving to Changi Gaol Camp from where he was recovered at the end of the war.
Parents George and Janet Gregory married in 1902 and moved from South Australia to WA to work in Kalgoorlie. The couple had 4 daughters and three sons. Janet Gregory died in 1917, John was about 14 years of age and Ron about 7 years old. Their father died in 1923 East Coolgardie.
All the children were born in WA and John and Ron were born in Kalgoorlie.
Both John and Ron were miners as was their father.
In 1946 Ron married Emma Maude Carr.
Emma and Ron resided at Rivervale. Ron was a plumber.
Ron Gregory passed away 21/3/2013.
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Kranji Camp Woodlands - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Sime Road Camp - Singapore
- Kanchanaburi, 50k - Thailand
- Shimo Sonkurai, 288k - Thailand
- Tanbaya, 362k - Burma