The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Regimental #:
- ‘D’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Doncaster,Yorkshire, England
- Father's Name:
- Simion John Holmes
- Mothers's Name:
- Lilian May Holmes (nee Lowes)
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Selarang Camp Changi
- ‘A’ Force Burma, Green Force, No. 3 Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Tamarkan, Bangkok
- Camps Burma:
- Victoria Point, Kendau 4.8, Thetkaw 14km, Meiloe 75km, Khonkan 55km Camp
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Fremantle, H.M. Hospital Ship Karoa
Soldier sent to Tamarkan Hospital Camp with ulcer on his right foot 31 December 1943.
He appears to have been recovered from Thailand.
The above was in newspaper October 1943.
He was one of 4 sons and 2 daughters born to Simion Holmes and Lilian Lowes. His father died in 1954 and his mother in 1989 in England.
He married in 1952 to Leonora Quirke. The couple sailed to England, probably to visit his family. It is not known how long they remained, but they returned from England on 8 April 1958 on ‘Strathnaver’.
According to Electoral Roles in 1963 Charles and Leonora resided at 41 Weld St, Nedlands, he was a builder. In 1968 the couple were residing at Exmouth and Charles was Inspector. In 1980 the couple are back at Weld Street, Nedlands, he is works supervisor.
Charles Holmes died 10 November 1995 aged 82 years and Leonora died in 1997 aged 84 years. Both at are Karrakatta Cemetery.
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Khonkan, 55Kilo Hospital 360k - Burma