The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Michael John
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- 'B' Company
- Place of Birth:
- Toodyay, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Michael Joseph Leahy
- Mothers's Name:
- Mary Leahy
- Roman Catholic
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Farmer & Truck Driver
- Selarang Camp Changi, Johore Bahru, Adam Park, River Valley Road Camp, Selarang Barracks Changi
- 'J' Force Japan, Wales Maru Party
- Camps Japan:
- Kobe (Mitsubishi wharves), Notogawa sub-Camp No. 9, Osaka (19.5.1945 -10.9.1945)
- 3/ 8491, 795
- Wales Maru Party
- Return Details 1945:
- Yokahama-Okinawa, U.S. Navy hospital ship, Okinawa Manila, B24 Liberator, Manila-Morotai-Darwin-Adelaide-Perth by aircraft.
Soldier was wounded in action at Tengah on 9/2/1942. The Japanese had located his section and zeroed in on them. Admitted to 2/13th Australian General Hospital at Alexandra Hospital with a shrapnel wound his left arm. Transferred to No. 2 Convalescent Depot on 12/2/1942. Discharged to unit on 15/2/1942.
Soldier was admitted to Kobe Hospital for 3 months and to Osaka Stadium POW Hospital, Ichioka for 6 months. On his return to Australia he was admitted to 110 (P)MH for 2 months.
Jack was a member of ‘J’ Force transported from Singapore to Japan to a POW Camp at Kobe mid 1943. Some of the details of Kobe House are found at the story Kobe House, Japan.
Jack passed away aged 89yrs, January 12 2006, at Mandurah, WA.
For further reading go to Affadavit by Leahy
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Kobe, Osaka #2-B - Japan ***
- Notogawa, Osaka #9-B - Japan