The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- John Murray Colville
- Regimental #:
- Headquarters Company, No. 3 Platoon. Attached to 2/4th, Australian Army Postal Corps
- Place of Birth:
- Cottesloe, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Charles Campbell Cheyne
- Mothers's Name:
- Ina Millicent Cheyne
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Clerk & Regular Soldier
- Selarang Camp Changi, Changi Gaol Camp, (attached to Changi Adminisration 28.1.1945), Levelling Party Changi Aerodrome.
- 'A' Force Burma, Green Force, No. 3 Battalion
- Rakuyo Maru Party, Kumi No. 36 (removed from draft at Singapore)
- Return Details 1945:
- Singapore-Darwin-Sydney, HMT Arawa, Sydney-Melbourne by troop train, Melbourne-Fremantle, HMT Strathmore.
Changi February to May 1942
Victoria Point 2/5/1942 – Jul 1942
Tavoy (split up) Jul 1942 – 19/10/1942
First R/W Camp 14km, Thetkaw 25/10/1942 – 17/3/1944
Meiloe 75km, Tamakan 30-3/1944 – 27/6/1944 Saigon. Went to Phnom Penh by cattle truck. Worked at Saigon Docks Camp and aerodrome at Hanoi.
Returned to Singapore due to US submarine action. Soldier contracted pneumonia so didn’t go to Japan (removed from draft for Rakuyo Maru Party, Kumi No.36).
River Valley Road 12/1/1945 (evacuated pneumonia and malaria)
Transferred to Changi Admin 28/1/1945.
Worked in Changi Aerodrome. Was billeted outside Changi Gaol due to overcrowding.
John Cheyne was discharged 12th December 1945.
- Changi Gaol Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore