The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Nick Name:
- Warrant Officer Class 2
- Regimental #:
- 'C' Company Headquarters, Company Sgt Major
- Place of Birth:
- Claremont, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Thomas Hampton
- Mothers's Name:
- Murial May Hampton
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Shop Assistant
- Selarang Camp Changi
- 'A' Force Burma, Green Force, No. 3 Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Tamarkan, Chungkai, Linson Wood Camp, Chungkai, Tamuang, Bangkok
- Camps Burma:
- Victoria Polint, Tavoy, Ye, Kendau 4.8km, Thetkaw 14km, Meiloe 75km (evacuated to Thanbyuzayat for six months with malaria); Reptu 30Km Tanbaya
- 1311 and 12079 (Linson)
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft; Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Moreton Bay 15.10.45 - 24.10.1945 to 110 (P)MH.
Prior to enlistment, Tom was Sgt with 25th Light Horse.
Tom was at Camps: Vic Point, Tavoy, Ye, Thanby, 3.8 K, 75K where he contracted malaria and was transferred to Thanby hospital 13.4.1943 for six months during which time the hospital was bombed. Following which he was at 8K Wagale, 105K where he marched in ex 30K Reptu 6.9.1943, Tanbaya (Lamaign) then Tamakan hospital 3.12.1943, Chunkai 27.7.1944 to 28.4.1944, Hindato/Linson (POW NO. 12079) chopping wood (perforated duodenal ulcer December 1944), left Chungkai 27.8.1945 returned January 1945, Tamuang, Bangkok.
On his return to WA Tom spent time at Lady Mitchell Convalescent Home to receive treatment for his eyesight which had suffered due to lack of vitamins. Please read further.
Tom married 1951 to Eileen (Joan) Freeman.
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
- Linson Wood Camp, 202k - Thailand
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Tamuang, Tha Muang 39k - Thailand
- Kendau, Kandaw, 4 Kilo - Burma
- Meilo, 75 Kilo, 340k - Burma
- Reptu, Retphaw, 30Kilo 385k - Burma
- Tavoy (Dawei) - river port - Burma
- Thanbyuzayat, 415k - Burma
- Ye - Burma
- Victoria Point, Kawthoung - Burma. \'A\' Force, Green Force No. 3 Btn
- Thetkaw 14 Kilo - Burma