The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- John Hugh
- Regimental #:
- ‘C’ Company Headquarters
- Place of Birth:
- Perth, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- William Flanigan
- Mothers's Name:
- Elizabeth Ann Flanigan (nee Biddle)
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Cabinet Maker
- Selarang Camp Changi
- ‘A’ Force Burma, Green Force, No.3 Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Tamarkan, Kachu Mountain Camp, Petchaburi, Bangkok
- Camps Burma:
- Victoria Point, Tavoy, Kendau, Thetkaw, Meiloe, Augganaung, Khonkan 55km Camp
- Return Details 1945:
- Bangkok‐Rangoon by aircraft; Rangoon-Singapore, HMT Highland Brigade; Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Moreton Bay
John had 5 years service with 24th Battalion AGA prior to enlisting AIF December 1940.
John was selected in Singapore to work on Burma-Thai Railway with ‘F’ Force Burma Green Force No. 3 Battalion which sailed from Singapore. Green Force disembarked at Victoria Point on south western coast of Burma, while the remaining numbers of ‘A’ Force sailed ontto Tavoy and Ye. The 3,000 men of ‘A’ Force worked on repairing/extending the airfields and as well construct roads at these three locations before moving on to the northern part of Railway in Burma.
Below is a copy of John Flanigan’s Affidavit to the War Trials about the brutality of guards at Kachu Mountain Camp during 1945.
When John prepared this Affidavit he was residing Queensland, 1946.
John’s parents William Flanigan born Victoria and Elizabeth Ann Biddle married Perth 1898. John was their 3rd child after William Henry and Irene.
In 1904 Elizabeth’s mother died.
Below: John’s mother died 1947 Queensland.
John’s father William Flanigan died Queensland 1955.
John trained as a cabinet maker and continued with his craft throughout his life.
In 1929 he was residing Clarence Street, North Perth, Cabinet Maker.
1949 Salisbuiry Street, Bayswater.
1963 he and Theresa were residing Riverton.
1972 Electoral Roll reveals John and his wife Theresa Bridget residing Riverton, John working as cabinet maker.
It is not known whether John and Theresa had a family.
John died 1 Sept 1975 at Riverton aged 68 years and was cremated Karrakatta Cemetery.
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Petchaburi - Thailand
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Kachau Mountain Camp - Thailand
- Victoria Point, Kawthoung - Burma. \'A\' Force, Green Force No. 3 Btn
- Thetkaw 14 Kilo - Burma