Byford War Memorial

ANZAC Memorial Park, ANZAC Crescent, The Glades, Byford.

ANZAC Memorial Park commemorates those from Byford who served in WW1 and WW2.  There are 321 names superimposed on the above brick wall, in no particular order.

We can positively identify the following 2/4th men:

WX8630 BISHOP HECTOR JOHN died of wounds received during battle for Singapore 12 February 1942 aged 29 years. Hector enlisted 23 October 1940.  He was married. His first child and son Dennis was born 2 weeks after his death on 26 February 1943. (Hector Bishop is also recorded at the Mundijong War Memorial).

WX7240 DAY DONALD ALEXANDER died of wounds received battle for Singapore11th February 1942 aged 28 years. Enlisted 1 August 1940.

His nephew WX17391 MARTIN WILLIAM DAY was KIA Singapore 11 February 1942 aged 21 years.  Martin enlisted 27 October 1941 and became a reinforcement for 2/4th. He had lost his life within 4 months of enlistment.  Martin was one of a large number of barely trained reinforcements to join 2/4th, many lost their lives in the battle for Singapore and later as POWs of Japan.

WX8425 LEADBITTER, EDWARD JONATHON died cholera Kuii POW Camp, Burma-Thai Railway 10 October 1943, aged 24 years.  (Ted Leadbitter was a former Fairbridge Farm School Boy).  Ted had recently married.

WX7474 RUBERY HERBERT MICHAEL died of illness 22 February 1943 at Roberts Barracks Hospital, Changi.  He was 24 years old.


On the front of the Memorial is the following inscription:

ANZAC Memorial Park
This memorial was unveiled on the 18th April 2015 by the Western Australian State President of the Returned & Service League of Australia the Hon Graham Edwards, AM
We remember with thanksgiving those who made the supreme sacrifice for us in time of war
May the offering of lives have not been in vain.
Today we dedicate ourselves to the cause of justice, freedom and peace ; and for the wisdom and strength to build a better world.
Lest we forget

Men who enlisted from Byford area and joined 2/4th and returned to Australia include:

WX9035 CORNISH RONALD HAMILTON enlisted 26 October 1940.  Ron was selected and survived working on the Burma-Thai Railway.  He was recovered at war’s end from Thailand and was flown to Singapore before sailing to Fremantle on HMT Moreton Bay.  Ron Cornish was tragically killed in a work-related accident in 1971, at the age of 55.  He was a father to 4 children.