Departed Singapore on 18th March 1943 under the command of Captain Reg Newton, 2/19th Battalion to travel for four days in crowded conditions by train to Thailand. ‘D’ Force consisted of O, P, Q, R, S, T, U and V battalions under the command of Lt-Col McEachern whose headquarters were incorporated into S Battalion. V Battalion was to be segregated from the other Australian formations and assigned to Thailand Administrative Group 6. S Battalion contained the largest number of 2/4th men followed by T Battalion. S and T Battalions amalgamated about May 1943.
The four-day train journey ended at Non Pladuk and U Battalion was marched 2 kilometres to Konma transit camp.
The following day on 23rd March the group were transported in open flat railway trucks to Kanchanaburi. S, T and V Battalions had already arrived at Kanchanaburi before U Battalion. It was here that Capt. Fred Harris reluctantly agreed to command a 225 strong POW work party which had been ordered by the Japanese be separated and remain behind to load ballast onto trains. When the group moved out of Kanchanaburi several men, Joe Starcevich and James Flanagan were too ill to continue, having consumed pork which was too rich, and remained behind.
Being the tail end of ‘Force, U Battalion tendered to gather in stragglers from other groups and they passed through from the lower camps of Thailand as they moved north of Kanchanaburi. Tom Cato from S Battalion joined U Battalion at Tarsau June 1943.
On 4th April the Japanese arrived to pick up U Battalion in a convoy of trucks to take then to their next destination, Tarsau. Many had thought they would be marching – so this was a pleasant surprise.
Tarsau Camp 4 April 1943 to 24 May 1943
Tarsau North Camp 24 May 1943 to 2 June 1943
Tonchan Camp 2 June 1943 to 28 June 1943
Kanu II Camp 30 June 1943 to 10 July 1943
Hintok River Camp 11 July 1943 to 16 July 1943
Around mid July Japanese issued orders for U Battalion to move back down river by barge to the British Camp at Tonchan Central.
Tonchan Central Camp 17 July 1943 to 21 September 1943
This crowded camp was located on flat ground between River Kwae Noi and the railway line which by this time had already been laid past this point. Newton’s U Battalion set to work on the main road north and ballasting of the the railway line and bridgework. Two work parties left this camp. One going to Tonchan Spring Camp and the other to a camp in the Kanu II area which the POWs referred to a ‘the fly camp’.
Both these splinter parties from U Battalion were engaged on repair and maintenance work.
On 21 September 1943 all the non sick at Tonchan Central Camp were barged to Rin Tin Camp. At this point Tom Cato separated from the main group of U Battalion.
Rin Tin Camp
Tonchan Central Camp. On 17 November 1943 Capt. Newton was ordered to return to Tonchan Central Camp where he was informed a new camp was to be set up. The new campsite was to be beside the old camp on flat level ground. Following completion and on 11 December 1943 U Battalion was ordered to prepare to move to Kanu IIIr – Tampie South the next day.
Kanu IIIr – Tampie South Camps
On 13 December the battalion began the steep trek up to Tampie Camp where there was a marshalling yard and siding 400 yards to the South. In June 1943 Bert Norton and about 20 POWs moved south from Kanu II to clear the jungle for this siding camp and marshalling yard.
U Battalion started cutting timber for the steam locomotives.
There were also permanent gangs here available 24 hours a day for the replenishment of water for steam locomotives. At this time there were already 500 British established at this camp which comprised B and C Battalions from ‘D’ Force.
Besides cutting timber for locomotives, men from U Battalion were engaged on track ballasting and repairs.
On 28 March 1944 orders were received to stand by for the long awaiting move south.
Delays encountered were due to Allied bombing attacks on the now completed Burma-Thai Railway.
5th April 1944 what remained of U Battalion was loaded onto a train and embarked on a rickety journey south to Tamuang, 12 kilometres south of Kanchanaburi.