Jahore Bahru, Malaysia
Jahore Bahru or JB as more commonly known
is located in the most southern province of Malaya and connected to Singapore by the Causeway. Partially demolished by the British prior to the Japanese invasion had been repaired by the Japanese.
Following a march the previous day to Adam Park Camp, POWs were moved in trucks to Jahore Bahru where they were billeted in two large two-storied homes.
The task was to construct a shrine to the dead from the Japanese Imperial Guards, Konore Division.
Work involved reclaiming some muddy land
setting up the memorial garden
construction of the shrine – the lower base dimensions were approximately 2.5 metres by 4 metres with a second base of proportionately smaller dimensions which rested on the lower base.
(The base still exists today, however the shrine itself did not stand the test of time.)
Work at J.B. was relatively easy. Japanese guards accompanying the men from Adam Park were a congenial lot. They located a piano and supplied transport to move it to one of the houses for the men’s entertainment in the evenings before’ lights out’.
Lt Blue Wilson WX9394 was a very good pianist. Late at night the Japs always got him out of bed to play when they had been to town (Johore Bahru) on leave. Also called up was Lt Branson (later a Liberal senator for WA).
By 30 April 1942 all work had been completed and 2/4th returned to Adam Park to begin another POW phase.