The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Henry Edward
- Nick Name:
- Teddy to his family
- Lance Corporal
- Regimental #:
- 'B' Company, No. 8 Platoon.
- Place of Birth:
- Wagin, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- John Edward 'Jack' Wright
- Mothers's Name:
- Elizabeth Margaret Wright (nee Godridge)
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, Joint Grave, Plot 10, Row C, Grave 10-11, Age 22.
- Selarang Camp Changi, Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp), River Valley Road Camp, Selarang Barracks Changi.
- 'D' Force Thailand, V Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kinsaiyok, Brankassi, Hindaine, Kuii
- 3/10080 & 2296
- Cause of Death:
- Place of Death:
- Date of Death:
- Grave No. 192, Kuii
Photograph taken January 2018 by C. Mellor
Teddy formerly of Geraldton enlisted in May 1941, as a reinforcement he embarked ‘Aquitania’ when it left for Singapore on 16 January 1942. Teddy was fortunate to have a few months army training ‘under his belt,’ unlike many of the reinforcements, particularly those who were KIA and who had been in the army no more than 2-4 months.
Teddy Wright was selected in Singapore with ‘D’ Force V Battalion to work on the Thai-Burma Railway. This V Battalion had one of the highest death rates of all working parties in Thailand/Burma.
Teddy was one of 3 children born to his parents John ‘Jack’ Edward Wright and Elizabeth Margaret Godridge who married in 1920.
Above: the death of Teddy’s baby sister Zoema in 1927. This tragic loss to the Wright family was followed by the young death of Teddy’s father ‘Jack’ Wright in Dec 1934 aged 35 years. Teddy was about 14 years old. Two years later his mother remarried.
Teddy’s family did not learn of his death 1943 on Burma-Thai Railway until the war ended – in 1945.
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Thomson Road (Caldecot Hill Estate Camp) - Singapore
- Brankassi, Prang Kasi, 208k - Thailand
- Hindaine, Kui Mang 200k - Thailand
- Kinsaiyok Main, 170.2k - Thailand
- Kuii, Kui Yae, 185.6k - Thailand