The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Michael Henry
- Nick Name:
- a.k.a. Percival Henry Wilkins
- Regimental #:
- ‘E’ Company, Special Reserve Battalion
- Place of Birth:
- Geraldton, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Not Known
- Mothers's Name:
- Not Known
- Roman Catholic
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Apprentice Plasterer
- Selarang Camp Changi, Havelock Road Camp, River Valley Road Camp, Selarang Barracks Changi.
- ‘D’ Force Thailand, V Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kinsaiyok, Brankassi, Non Pladuk
- Camps Japan:
- Fukuoka sub-Camp No. 17, Omuta, Fukuoka sub-Camp No. 12, Miyata
- Aramis Party
- Return Details 1945:
- Nagasaki-Manila, details not known, Manila-Morotai-Darwin, PBY Catalina A24-377, Darwin-Perth, PBY Catalina.
Wilkins recorded his NOK as his sister Mrs N.H. Busby Kukerin.
Michael Wilkins enlisted AIF 10 November 1941 and was drafted into 2/4th Reinforcements (E Company) to sail to Singapore on ‘Aquitania’ 16 January, 1942.
He was one of the fortunate barely trained soldiers to survive with E Force. Please read further about their battle in Singapore.
As a POW at Singapore Wilkins left with ‘D’ Force V Battalion to work on the Burma-Thai Railway. V Battalion endured terrible work and camp conditions and too many deaths.
After the war Michael married in about 1947 to Ada Teresa Lockyer. They resided at 3 Bourke Street, Kensington with Michael working as a plasterer.
It is believed Michael died 20 June 1971 aged 44 years.
Ada Wilkins died in 2006 aged 82 years.
- Havelock Road Camp - Singapore
- River Valley Road Camp - Singapore
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Miyata, Fukuoka #9-B - Japan
- Omuta Miike, Fukuoka #17-B - Japan