The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Hubert Mervyn
- Nick Name:
- Lofty, Dutchy
- Regimental #:
- ‘B’ Company
- Place of Birth:
- Wagin, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Charles Newton Holland
- Mothers's Name:
- Clarice 'Estelle' Holland (Ayliffe)
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Railway Engine Cleaner and Farmhand
- Selarang Camp Changi; Johore Bahru; Adam Park;
- Japan ‘B’ Party Korea, Fukkai Maru
- Camps Japan:
- Keijo, Korea remaind behind due to illness; Fukuoka sub‐Camp No. 13, Saganoseki; Omine Divisional Camp No.6
- Return Details 1945:
- Nagasaki-Hong Kong-Manila, U.S. Navy aircraft carrier; Manila-Morotai-Darwin-Perth, PBY Catalina aircraft A24-77.
For more information read “Korea – Destination for Ted Roots, Jack Taylor, Jim Clancy, Bill Gray and Hubert ‘Dutchy’ Holland”
Bert enlisted 10 Dec 1941.
Within one month he was on board ‘Aquitania’ with reinforcements sailing to to Singapore. He became batman/Runner with ‘B’ Company and within 8 weeks was fighting to save Singapore!
Bert’s parents Charles Nerton Holland and Estelle Ayliffe married Wagin 1914. Bert was one of 4 boys and 2 girls.
After the war Bert married Joan Cook in 1946.
1949n Electoral Roll has Bert living and working Bunbury as Fireman, WAGR.
Hubert Holland died end of 1995.
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Keijo - Korea ***
- Omine, Hiroshima #6-B - Japan
- Saganoseki, Fukuoka #13-D - Japan