The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Francis Gerald
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- 'A' Company HQ
- Place of Birth:
- Albert Park, Victoria
- Father's Name:
- John Francis McCaffrey
- Mothers's Name:
- Marcella Mary Brannigan
- Roman Catholic
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Regular Soldier
- Selarang Camp Changi
- 'A' Force Burma, Green Force, No. 3. Burma
- Camps Thailand:
- Tamarkan, Kanchanaburi, Bangkok
- Camps Burma:
- Victoria Point, Kendau 4.8km,m Thetkaw 14 km, Meiloe 75km, Aungganaung 75 km, Khonkan 55km
- Return Details 1945:
- Thailand-Singapore by aircraft, Singapore-Fremantle, HMT Tamaroa.
Officer was promoted to Captain Australian Staff Corps on 14/4/1947.
He attended the Japanese War Crimes Trials at Rabaul from 30/4/1946 – 21/6/1946.
His appointment was terminated on 25/5/1949, ‘D’ Class medically unfit.
He was appointed 2 I/C of ‘A’ Company 2/4th MG Btn on the appointment of Major Saggers to the Special Reserve Battalion.
McCaffrey was in the 2/4th Football team in Northam. Please read further
Below: POWs would mention names of mates when writing home, believing if by luck their mail was successful – then their family would notify the families of men mentioned.
Thomas mentioned McCaffrey as being in Burma with him.
Following the end of war, McCaffrey returned to NSW. He married Monica Helen Bourke. Very little is known of Frank and his life.
Frank had five brothers and one sister.
His father died in 1944, Prahan, Victoria. His mother died 1967, Heathmont, Victoria.
Frank McCaffrey died 5 April 1989 in NSW. He was last residing at MacQuarie Fields, NSW.
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Kanchanaburi, 50k - Thailand
- Tamarkan, Tha Makham 56k - Thailand
- Aungganaung,105Kilo - Burma
- Kendau, Kandaw, 4 Kilo - Burma
- Meilo, 75 Kilo, 340k - Burma
- Bangkok - Thailand
- Victoria Point, Kawthoung - Burma. \'A\' Force, Green Force No. 3 Btn
- Thetkaw 14 Kilo - Burma