The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Douglas Radcliffe
- Nick Name:
- Doug or Trader
- Corporal (Promoted on 24.1.1942)
- Regimental #:
- ‘D’ Company, No. 14 Platoon
- Place of Birth:
- Perth, Western Australia
- Father's Name:
- Alexander Cecil Radcliffe Horn
- Mothers's Name:
- Blanche Eva Victoria Horn
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Bank Clerk
- Selarang Camp Changi; Johore Bahru; Adam Park; Selarang Barracks Changi
- ‘ D ’ Force Thailand, S Battalion
- Camps Thailand:
- Kanu II, Tarsau, Chungkai, Tamuang
- Camps Japan:
- Yamane (copper mine- furnace attendant), Niihame (furnace attendant and No. 4 Party at wharves)
- 4 /4513, 8729, 1549
- Rashin Maru Party
- Return Details 1945:
- Wakayama-Okinawa, USS Sanctuary; Okinawa-Manila, USS Bingham; Manila-Sydney, HMS Speaker.
Soldier was captured West Coast Beach Defences.
It is reported he did an excellent job at Sungei Berih defence line. He was recommended for rank of L/Sgt on 20.2.42.
‘Trader’ was at the following POW Camps:
Changi – Selarang 15.2 to 4.4.42
Adam Park 4.4.42 to 30.12.42
Changi 30.22.42 to 14.3.1943
Selected for D Force ‘S’ Battalion to work Burma-Thai Railway left Singapore by train on 14 March 1943.
Please read further about ‘D’ Force Thailand S Battalion which included a large number of 2/4th men as did ‘A’ Force Burma Green Force
Kanu II 25.4.43 to 22.6.43
Chungkai 8.12.1943 to 30.4.1944
Tamuang 30.4.44 to 1.7.1944 – selected for Japan
Singapore – River Valley Road Camp
Rashin/Byoki Maru 1.7.44 to 8.9.1944 to Moji Japan.
Yamanii 8.9.44 Copper Mine
Niihama – No. 4 Party on Niihama Wharf
Returned Australia to Sydney by HMS Speaker.
Doug was son of Alexander Cecil Radcliffe Horn and Eva Blanche Victoria Little who married in 1915. Doug’s father died 1967 and his mother in 1871.
Below: in 1946 Doug married ‘Kitty’ Kathleen Cecilia O’Neill.
‘Trader’ was Committee member for 2/4th MGB ex-Members Assoc in 1951, the year it was decided MGB would present an annual winner’s cup in memory of their CO Lt. Col. Mick Anketell who had died 9 years earlier. Please read further.
Doug Horn died at Mt Pleasant 1983 aged 67 years and Kitty died in 1998.
- Adam Park Camp - Singapore
- Johore Bahru, - Malaysia
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Chungkai, 60k - Thailand
- Kanu II, 152.30k - Thailand
- Tamuang, Tha Muang 39k - Thailand
- Tarsau, Tha Sao 125k - Thailand
- Nihama, Hiroshima #2-B- Japan
- Yamane, Hiroshima #3-D - Japan