The Soldier's Details
- First Name:
- Edwin Henry
- Nick Name:
- Regimental #:
- 88 Light Aid Detachment
- Place of Birth:
- Whitechurch, Dorset, Devon, England
- Father's Name:
- William Cole
- Mothers's Name:
- Eva Evelene Cole (nee Spicer)
- Church of England
- Pre-war Occupation:
- Epitaph, Labuan Memorial, Panel 18, Age 35.
- Selarang Camp and Barracks Changi
- 'E' Force Borneo
- Cause of Death:
- Not Known
- Place of Death:
- Sandakan No. 1 Camp.
- Date of Death:
- No. 2 Sandakan Cemetery, No. 1 Camp.
Edwin Cole enlisted in Adelaide.
Taken on Strength from 2/4th Army Field Workshops, Australian Army Ordnance Corp (88th LAD) on 14.1.1943.
Edwin Cole arrived Fremantle from London on ‘Armadale’ June 1914 as a 4 year old with two younger sisters, Greta and Pamela with his young parents William and Eva Cole.
Ted married in Perth about 1930 to Dorothy Agnes May Birch. They couple had one son born 1935 Edwin John Cole who died in 2008 and a daughter Gloria. Dorothy died 2 Feb 1937 at Mt Hawthorn aged 30 years. She is buried at Karrakatta cemetery.
He remarried about 1938 to Ellen ‘Ellie’ Josephine Robinson.
Tragically Ted was not to return to his family. He lost his life at Sandakan May 1945, he was 35 years old. He sailed from Singapore on 2 Mar 1943 with ‘E’ Force Borneo to Sandakan.
- Selarang Barracks Changi - Singapore
- Selarang Camp Changi - Singapore
- Lintang Officers Camp, Kuching - Sarawak